Gen 2 dimmer switch stuck on

LightwaveRF Communi… > Forum > Installation and… > Gen 2 dimmer switch…

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  CoraDias 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
     Jed says:

Jed
    Participant

I’ve just configured a Gen 2 L21 single gang dimmer to control a set of 9 x 10W dimmable Phoebe RGB lights (part 9417). The lights come on ok when I power up the circuit but I can’t switch them off, they draw power no matter what state the switch is in. Is this a typical sign of incompatible bulbs or is there something else I could investigate here?

I’m wondering if a gen 1 inline dimmer would have any chance of working or am I just as likely to hit the same set of issues?

Thanks

Jed
     Jed says:

Jed
    Participant

I’ve since tried a 50W halogen across the terminals, to provide an additional resistive load, as well as the Phoebe lights and that’s not solved the issue.

I’ve tried an inline dimmer as an alternative route, instead of the L21 switch, and that does work to a degree, but the buzzing from the transformer is not really acceptable when trying to dim the lights (ok at full light). I only had one light in the circuit for this test, so I’m not sure if I put the whole 9 in series whether that will help sort that issue out? The dimming range was also either minimal or not very gradual so this almost a working solution but not great dimming.

Jed
     btidey says:

btidey
    Participant

You may have 2 issues here.

1) 9 10W LED is pushing the power ratings of Lightwave switches. They have to be significantly derated for LED bulbs due to the high pulse currents that can occur with LEDs. You could end up seriously shortening the life of the dimmer.

2) I think those bulbs may be smart bluetooth controlled bulbs. There are likely to be incompatibility issues withe the Lightwaverf dimmers.

If you want to use these bulbs with lightwaverf kit you may be better turning them on and off with a lightwaverf relay and using their own app for dimming, effects etc.

Jed says:

Jed
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback, they are BT controlled. I think you’re right and the relay was my fallback plan but annoyingly that means I’ll have to use a relay for the other gang as well as no mix and match approach with multi gang switches.

Point taken on the derating, so same issue would apply to the inline dimmer or a Gen2 switch really as they have the same max 250w rating

Jed
     Jed says:

Jed
    Participant

I spoke to LW today to check what LEDs I should look at for Gen 2 and they said they will be releasing a new Gen 2 LED compatibility list by the end of this week, so I’ll be looking at that list to determine what to go for instead of the Phoebe lights.

Jed
     h3mp says:

h3mp
    Participant

i’m looking forward to the compatibility list too as need to buy some bulbs without the guesswork!

CoraDias says:

CoraDias
    Participant

Hi…as per my knowledge they have to be significantly derated for LED bulbs due to the high pulse currents that can occur with LEDs. Also bulbs may be smart bluetooth controlled bulbs. There are likely to be incompatibility issues withe the Lightwaverf dimmers.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.