Found a new way to find lighting cables…

LightwaveRF Communi… > Forum > The Lounge > Found a new way to…

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums The Lounge Found a new way to find lighting cables…

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  markk 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
     Chris says:

Chris
    Key Master

…it involves a drill. Place drill against wall in the vicinity of where you might expect the lighting cable to be. Depress drill trigger while applying an appropriate level of force for the material you wish drill to penetrate. If you experience a bright flash, a smell of burning and all the lights to going off, you have confirmed the cable location. Yippee.

Side effects may include the air turning blue, this could be from either you or the wife followed shortly afterward with a short prayer to him upstairs that you a) decided to do this experiment in your socks on a wooden floor holding a battery powered drill and b) had a nice sensitive RCD/MCB installed in your consumer unit….

P.S. If you are inexperienced with electrics, leave it with the professionals. I’ve had to promise the wife I’ll do just that in future… ;-)

Chris Mills Founder and Editor - LightwaveRF Community http://cpmills.com/ http://lightwaverfcommunity.org.uk
     markk says:

markk
    Participant

I did that once too Chris. Works well doesn’t it? I would like to add, in case there are any budding plumbers out there, that Chris’s method works just as well if you’re looking to locate water pipes :)

Running RFXCom with Domoticz on model b raspberry pi. LWRF dimmer switches, PIRs and plug sockets. Some Homeeasy switches, harmony hub controlling AV and air con. Geofencing with Pilot app. Tado for heating.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

ABOUT Chris

Chris works as a techie for a large IT service provider. He is a geek at heart and loves nothing more than trying to automate his home. The problem is, his wife simply doesn't get it and can't understand why they can't have 'normal' lights like everyone else! Chris is dedicated therefore to implementing automation in a family friendly way.

View all posts by