fibaro dimmer

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  theta 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
     skiv71 says:

skiv71
    Participant

Just fitted a fibaro dimmer in in 2 wire mode with local actuation via a MK 3 position momentary (retractive) switch and added it to my system.

fibaro dimmer

MK switch

I have to say, the dimmer is fabulous, with timely control and status reporting and a wealth of configuration options.

I was very suprised to find that the light level @ 100% is much brighter than the lightwave rf dimmer.

Not quite sure how they’ve managed this.

developer of BMS Link (http://linode.bmslink.co.uk). A cloud based Home Automation platform for LightwaveRF, Z-Wave, RFXCOM.
     grisdale says:

grisdale
    Participant

Hiya skiv71

Probably not the forum to ask detailed questions about Fibaro etc,- but I am almost ready to take the plunge and go for these as I will only fit MK switches (sort of rules out the lightwave). I have also rewired to provide a neutral and a 46mm deep wall boxe in most of my lighting circuits!

Can I ask a couple of questions, how does the retractive K4900 switch operate? up for on down for off hold to cycle through? do you find the spring tension quite firm?

Are you using them with or without a neutral supply to the Fibaro?

Finally what lamps are you using? I have standardised on Philips GU10 8 Watt Masterleds.

Tony

skiv71 says:

skiv71
    Participant

Hi Tony,

I assumed it’d be ok as there’s users discussing Tado :)

The switches are a little firm to start with, but after they bed in, its not bad at all. I did find an alternative from varilight, but the quality was way down.

I’ve been limited to 2 wire on this light (due to standard 3 plate wiring) but the lamps are very bright, brighter than with the LWRF dimmer.

The lamps are just plain halogen on a SES style fitting.

I think i might get some LED’s from BnQ and see what they are like (assuming you can get SES)… might also measure the voltage, see where its at too.

On the whole, very impressed… and there’s a nice range of MK fronts etc to choose from, should you wish to get decorative.

HTH

Neil

developer of BMS Link (http://linode.bmslink.co.uk). A cloud based Home Automation platform for LightwaveRF, Z-Wave, RFXCOM.
     Davey says:

Davey
    Participant

Hi neil. Could you fit two fibaro dimmers in a 45mm back box as I have a 2 gang switch in the kitchen

skiv71 says:

skiv71
    Participant

Hi Davey,

Well i haven’t fitted such an array yet, but at 17mm deep, you should be able to fit one in front of the other.

And since the units have trailing aerials, there should be no RF issues.

So i’d say most likely yes.

Neil

Davey says:

Davey
    Participant

I like lightwave but dont like the lack of status reporting. Do you think fibaro is a good reliable option? I would want to use there home center on there app on my phone for remote access

skiv71 says:

skiv71
    Participant

Well having come from lightwave and now used the fibaro + mk switch fronts, i wouldn’t fit anything else.

no full brightness issue
    status reporting
    customisation of dimmer function

they are proper good. infact fibaro stuff is great :)

I cannot comment on the home center (but i expect its good).

I use my system and a common means to control all the different techs.

Davey says:

Davey
    Participant

Hi neil. What would i need to control lightwave and fibaro? I want to convert to fibaro but will probally go with lightwave heating when it come out

skiv71 says:

skiv71
    Participant

Well I support both systems (and the new heating when it arrives).

As for other systems, i’m not sure.

Domoticz supports Z-wave but i don’t believe is has native wifi link support.

You could of could use fibaro home center (or i think there are other systems), but i prefer the concept of a single management system supporting multiple systems.

That’s the whole point of scada.

HTH

Neil

Davey says:

Davey
    Participant

So the fibaro home center supports lightwave?!

skiv71 says:

skiv71
    Participant

No (well i’m pretty sure it won’t), but some users are happy to mesh different systems together using their dedicated gateways.

JustMe says:

JustMe
    Participant

@Davey

The Fibaro HC2 COntrol Centre supports LWRF using virtual devices and LUA code. The HCL cannot do LUA and therefore there is no current knowledge on support. In terms of look and feel, Fibaro is great but in terms of functionality and LWRF connectivity, VERA is a far more able system with an LWRF plugin. Fibaro plan to introduce plugin capacity for third party plugins into v4 of their software, due out in the next few months.

HTH

hazymat says:

hazymat
    Participant

Neil

I bought a Lightwave Link but stopped using it for good since I bought my lovely RFXtrx433! And I’m a total convert to Domoticz and/or OpenHAB.

Have you messed with Domoticz and Fibaro dimmers?

Basically I want to know *when* it sends status updates. Can you set the frequency of these?

hazymat says:

hazymat
    Participant

Just realised Fibaro dimmer operates at 868MHz – boooo!

Can someone recommend a good alternative operating at 433?

skiv71 says:

skiv71
    Participant

Mat,

Domoticz can still work with it… I think they use openzwave.

Regarding status updates, it’ll send on change etc., but you can also poll it manually too.

If you use z-way, you can set it via a POST command, but i favour controlling the poll/frequency in my system.

I doubt very much you’ll find a 433 dimmer that can match the fibaro ones.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

ABOUT skiv71

Once Electrician, now an Industrial, Commerial (and now domestic) Automation Engineer. Proficient in PLC's, HMI's, Scada, IT, Networking and general programming.

View all posts by