Faulty slave unit?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  AlexS 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
     Londonmark says:

Londonmark
    Participant

Hi

I’ve just installed a slave unit and a master unit. Pretty certain it’s wired correctly, and LEDs are on on both units. The master unit works perfectly, but the slave does nothing. The LEDs briefly respond to button pushes, but the light does nothing. Very frustrating. I suspect it’s a fauly unit. What should I do?

SimonCatlin says:

SimonCatlin
    Participant

I have (had) the same problem. Contact JSJS directly, they will provide more advice.

On speaking with John (one of the Js of JSJS), he said that he had had the same problem in his own home.
    This was caused by the switch wire not being a true "switch". When I wired my Master and Slave, the lights refused to turn on, even though the master went blue and the slave stayed yellow.

I am returning my unit (which I think has "burnt out") for a replacement.

There is another solution, which John did suggest and this is now the method I have gone with, which is to use a Mood Controller, http://www.responseelectronics.com/Ligh … witch.html which is the same price as the slave anyway. I have taken my 1960′s switch out, completed the circuit (red to blue) in one terminal block and left the yellow (switch live) in another terminal block. This keeps the wiring in place for when you want to go back and replace it at a later date.

Oen thing that I did not know until I read the maunal is you can screw these onto wall boxes, not just stick them to a wall. This means I have hidden the terminal blocks in the light switch back box and have the Mood Controller over the top. Neat solution. Only downside is you do not have the orange "locator" light, nor blue light to signify it is on. However, as I never had it before, nothing lost etc…

I hope this helps?
    Simon

2 WiFi, 2 sockets, 11 light switches (7 single, 4 double), 2 mood controllers, 1 double wire free switch, 6 plug in on/off, 3 plug in dimmer, 2 PIR, 2 LED, 1 300W Inline relay, 2 signal booster, 1 Energy Monitor and 1 very patient wife. Also Heatmiser's Neo, Ring Bell, Ring Camera, Nest Protect, Canary...
     AlexS says:

AlexS
    Participant
    "Londonmark":1cmb7d3w wrote:

Hi

I’ve just installed a slave unit and a master unit. Pretty certain it’s wired correctly, and LEDs are on on both units. The master unit works perfectly, but the slave does nothing. The LEDs briefly respond to button pushes, but the light does nothing. Very frustrating. I suspect it’s a faulty unit. What should I do?

Give us a call and we’ll sort it. truly ‘faulty’ units are not too common and faults are usually cause by overloading, power spikes and old or dodgy wiring (in my house anyway!) but we will be glad to try to help sort the problem and replace the unit for you straight away if it cant be rectified. (0121 250 3624 is our office).

Alex

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.