energy usage of lightwave devices

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  MartinKS 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
     davethealarmman says:

davethealarmman
    Participant

Does anybody know what power the lighwave devices sockets and switches use when in powered and standby mode I am gradually replacing all my sockets and have done a calculation of all the equipment in my house that is on all the time for example our TV amplifier and distribution unit in the loft if my calculations are correct uses a staggering £52 per year of electricity and it is not used between midnight and 6:30 AM. If I place a lightwave on off socket in their on a schedule is it worth the saving I need to know how much the sockets use to work this out. Another example the doorbell transformer not needed after 10pm it all adds up

AlexS says:

AlexS
    Participant

It varies slightly by device but each mains powered dimmer/socket will consume considerably less that 1 watt when in standby.

Ratters says:

Ratters

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but has anybody actually measured this yet? Just from how warm the dimmers stay in OFF state, I would guess they are consuming more than 1 watt, we have historically tested other touch/remote dimmers and found them to consume as much as 40 watts (over a 4 gang/channel plate) in a standby or OFF state.

theta says:

theta
    Participant

One more resurrection of this now ancient thread, but has someone found the answer?

markk says:

markk
    Participant

You can test this if you have an energy monitor. Turn all the lights off in the house and measure it then pull the fuse for the lights and see what happens. Ideally, there should be very little or no change. I’d be interested to see what the result is.

Running RFXCom with Domoticz on model b raspberry pi. LWRF dimmer switches, PIRs and plug sockets. Some Homeeasy switches, harmony hub controlling AV and air con. Geofencing with Pilot app. Tado for heating.
     MartinKS says:

MartinKS
    Participant

I can only comment based on my British Gas smart meter. With everything off in the house, and the dimmers unplugged it registered “no usage”. With 4 dimmers plugged in again, it still registered “no usage”.

Played around, and in order to get any usage shown on the display, I needed to use around 30w – so, less than that.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.