Electric switch themostat sensor type?

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums General LightwaveRF Discussion Electric switch themostat sensor type?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  asf76 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
     Commer1981 says:

Commer1981
    Participant

Hi,

I am looking at purchasing one of the Lightwave Electric switchs to turn my Immersion Heater in my DHW tank on and off and was wondering if anyone knew what type of sensor is used internally to detect room temperature?

Is it a PT1000 or similar?

Thanks

Commer1981 says:

Commer1981
    Participant

I took the plunge and bought one to dissect.

Soldered onto the board is an NTC sensor which looks like a 10kΩ thermistor, I am thinking of replacing this with a probe with a longer cable to detect temperature on a variety of surfaces rather than ambient room temperature.

asf76 says:

asf76
    Participant

Hi, sorry to resurrect an old thread but how did you get on with the 10k sensor? Thinking of doing the exact same. I Also noticed that there is a pair of external contacts on the thermostat and would even be willing to use that paired with a electric switch if I can get it working.
    Cheers,
    Alan

asf76 says:

asf76
    Participant

So I tried to set up an electric switch to monitor and control the hoop water. Pulled the existing thermistor out an electric switch, they are 100kohm. Soldered in a new thermistor on a long cable and wired up in place of the timer.
    Unfortunately, the pcb doesn’t recognise the high temp and shows it as over 1000degC (be a ruddy hot shower) but I decided to just set it up as an on/off timer which you can now do through the updated app. Maybe it’s always been a feature but I’ve always had mine set on temp for electric radiators.
    This would all have been fine if I had taken the care to spend more than a fiver on 5 thermistors, sliding it back into the sensor pocket it caught the side, burst the bulb and shorted out the switch! I can’t remember seeing a fuse in there so guessing it’s fried.
    Short answer is no, you can’t use the electric switch to temp control your water.
    Setpoint on the app only goes up to 39.5 as well.
    I may have another look at using a thermostat to drive an electric switch or relay as I’m sure you can put an offset on a thermostat

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.