Double Socket Fault

This topic contains 25 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  worcell 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
     gibbo says:

gibbo
    Participant

Morning,

I have an issue with a double socket…. one side works fine.

I can pair, unpair with the second side, and also operate it manually. But it wont operate via the wifi link – not tried it with a manual switch.

Is this a case of power off for 10 minutes? or just a faulty unit.

Jim K says:

Jim K
    Participant

If you can try a power off and see if that clears it up then let us know how you got on?

Perhaps it has been locked unknowingly?

gibbo says:

gibbo
    Participant

Jim,

Just a thought on this… if I have a power cut for an hour, do the lightwave devices forget their pairings?

Jim K says:

Jim K
    Participant

Hey gibbo,

I have been reliably informed that the devices use Non Volatile Memory so they won’t forget their pairings in a power cut.

Some details about a power cut…

After a power cut LightwaveRF devices will default to the off position as a safety measure (don’t want a kettle or hot plate to turn on after a power cut). The exception to this are the LightwaveRF bulbs which default to on.

If you’d like a device to turn on after a power cut, a fridge for example, then you can do this by putting the device into learning mode and turning the WiFiLink off and on. If successful, the lights will flash as they do when they learn a new transmitter.

On the tech side, when the WiFiLink powers up, it sends out a ‘startup’ RF command which is what the device responds to. So on a power cut or a WiFILink reboot those paired devices will turn on.

Hope this helps!!

Jim

gibbo says:

gibbo
    Participant

Great… all very handy information to know. Especially the fridge / default thing

rhlangdon says:

rhlangdon
    Participant

I have a similar problem. I installed 3 two gang 13 amp sockets. All set up with no problem, using my iPhone to control and/or the small remote (I also bought some plug in sockets).

Now I find that having been installed for 24 hours one socket is always on – both sides showing blue. With another about 20 minutes later the left side works ok but the right is now always on showing blue. I cannot switch them off, even by pressing the buttons on the face of the sockets. I now have 3 permanently live sockets.

I have tried completely resetting then pairing all over again. The lights tell me pairing is taking place but neither the remote nor the iPhone can switch the sockets off. The left side of one that works is no problem.

I have not used the lock function.

I have also switched all power off for a bit but that does nothing.

Any ideas what to do anybody?

andytvcams says:

andytvcams
    Participant

This might work.
    First start with the left side Hold down the button until the lights start alternating blue and amber then press the button until a single light flash’s purple (Thats right i did say purple) take your finger off and press again the light should be now flashing rapid amber.

Reapeat with the other switches that should sort it. then just pair as normal.

It is important that light flash’s purple its not in the instructions and they are wrong.

Hope it works for you.

rhlangdon says:

rhlangdon
    Participant

Thanks. What you describe is the steps taken to wipe the socket of all pairings. It is in the instructions and have tried that several times. After I have got the blue and amber lights flashing, when I press and hold the button again the left light flashes a light purplish colour while the blue flashes blue. As you say taking your finger off and then pressing again and the amber light flashes shortly and goes out.

I have tried this and it does not cure the problem. However, when I got up this morning one of the sockets was working properly! Yesterday both sides were locked on blue and were always live. Now all is OK. But, I have a third double socket and this morning when I went to check it one side (the right side) works fine but the left side can only be switched on and off manually. Despite it telling me it has paired it does not accept a signal. I have tried the power off again but that does nothing. With this third socket I have disconnected it, both live and neutral and will leave disconnected and try again tomorrow. I cannot do that with the other one where the right side is permanently live as I need to use it.

It does seem that they may put themselves right ( and put themselves wrong!) Makes me wonder if for some odd reason there is a settling down period.

I have some plug in modules , as opposed to replacement sockets, and they work fine. It seems there are peculiarities with the sockets. I like the idea of the overall system though and will persevere with it.

rhlangdon says:

rhlangdon
    Participant

A further update.

Leaving the socket disconnected did nothing.

I tried resetting the control box. The result was that the double socket that had suddenly overnight decided to start working properly stopped doing so and now has both sockets permanently on. I cannot switch either off using the button on the socket, my iPhone or the small hand held remote control. This seems to be saying there is a software glitch somewhere.

in the meantime where I have used the plug in modules and not the replacement sockets they all work OK.

There is an inherent fault of some sort in the sockets.

rhlangdon says:

rhlangdon
    Participant

One further point. Jim in one of his replies said that when there is a power cut the devices default to the off position. No they don’t. In my case some default to on.

rhlangdon says:

rhlangdon
    Participant

An update. My sockets have gone back to be checked. The company has been very quick at looking at this and very helpful.

andytvcams says:

andytvcams
    Participant
    "rhlangdon":3m8f7e03 wrote:

An update. My sockets have gone back to be checked. The company has been very quick at looking at this and very helpful.

Thats good to hear lets up they get them sorted soon.

Fergin says:

Fergin
    Participant

I to have today experienced this problem. A Double Socket and the right hand socket will not turn off. Do I return this to the retailer or lightwaverf direct as this is getting stupid now. I have had nothing but trouble with this kit. Remotes, plug in timers and now sockets not working.

Starting to get annoying have to trek back to retailer

Might look at alternative products

Fergin

siddys says:

siddys
    Participant

I have the same issue with a double socket, I contacted Lightwaverf who passed me onto JSJS Designs, who advised me to turn the socket off at the fusebox for a minute, then turn back on.

If the socket corrects itself it was probably a software issue, if the problem persists (stuck on all the time), then its likely the relay in the socket is, malfunctioning and they stated the would provide a replacement

I willl try them again tomorrow and hopefully arrange a replacement

gibbo says:

gibbo
    Participant

I’ve read somewhere how you can change the set up of how it powers back up (on or off) eg for a Fridge freezer – why would you want to put a fridge on a remotely controlled socket I have no idea!!!

Going back to faulty sockets, Jim kindly replaced 2 double sockets for me several months ago, but I havent had time to put them on. I did this on THursday, and already 1 of the four is stuck in the on position! grrrr.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.