Do Gen 2 links work *well* with Gen 1 kit

LightwaveRF Communi… > Forum > General LightwaveRF… > Do Gen 2 links work… > Page 2

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums General LightwaveRF Discussion Do Gen 2 links work *well* with Gen 1 kit

Tagged: 

This topic contains 18 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Johnny T 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
     Johnny T says:

Johnny T
    Participant

I’d help if I could Automation. I don’t know the answer to your questions as I haven’t got a Gen 2 link. I’m really interested to see how this pans out though.

Please post back when/if you get it resolved. They have categorically said in their advertising bumf that it’s compatible fully with Gen 1 and I can’t see the logic in changing the frequency so I can only guess your link is faulty?

As I said though, would be interested in what you find out.

btidey says:

btidey
    Participant

The difference in frequency reported 433.920 vs 433.930 is probably due just to tolerances. I am sure this frequency difference will have no effect on a Link1 receiving device. They are just looking for simple on/off keying of the carrier and are not that selective.

It is much more likely to be due to a difference in power or maybe they have changed the repeat policy on link 2. The link1 hubs send the command out 20 times to increase the chance of it being received. If link2 sends out less repeats then this may also affect reliability at larger distances. That should be relatively easy to test for someone with a link2 and a 433Mhz receiver. Note that I wouldn’t put it past Lightwaverf software development to send out a link1 signal just once in the link2 having forgotten that repeats are needed.

The Lightwaverf reply about the link reading the 433MHz signal is laughable. They transmit not receive.

Automation says:

Automation
    Participant

Not much happened after my last post about Gen 2 coverage at end of March. Further monitoring showed me that the burst of real data was much shorter than the gen 1 burst now is. I then remembered that the gen 1 kit had problems with connectivity that were improved by a firmware update that added a pause before the real data started and also repeated it a few times (this gave time for the receiving unit to wake up and get on frequency). I wrote to Lightwave about this and without them agreeing anything, my gen 2 link started to function much better with gen 1 kit a couple of weeks later. I did ask what had been done, if anything, but got no firm reply. I decided then to open the modem box (they kept asking me to return it for repair) and found the 433 Mhz aerial (and the 866 ones) was pushed up against the circuit boards. After some experimental adjustments I can now report that my Gen 2 modem has a least the same effective range as the gen 1 version. But of course no one admits to anything being wrong in the first place.

As a separate matter, I reported some weeks ago that the buttons on the android app for the gen 1 three way curtain relay OPEN/STOP/CLOSED had disappeared, stopping its use! Today I have been told after many emails that they will restore this to the gen 2 Android app in an update next week.

Why are they so reluctant to tell me what is happening??. Why does it take so long before they believe me??

Otherwise I have had no real problems with any of my kit in the last 3 months, except for a 3 way relay dying.

I await further devices to become available in Gen 2, but without much hope!

Johnny T says:

Johnny T
    Participant

Hi Automation

That’s really interesting info. Are you saying that you got the range issue in your Gen 2 product sorted by adjusting the aerials internally OR because Lightwave have extended the number of repeats of the signal on Gen 2 in a silent update to replicate the fix they rolled out to Gen 1 ?

Also, I’m curious as to why you are not optimistic about new devices becoming available in Gen 2 ? Do you think they’ll leap frog and go to a “Gen 3″ which irons out all these issues? Or was that just a throw-away comment?

I’ve decided not to “upgrade” (downgrade??) to Gen 2 at the moment and will leave it until at least next year to make a decision on whether I start replacing my key units with Gen 2 stuff. But, I must admit, if I found a rock solid competitor that does the same as Lightwave I would probably jump ship entirely at this point. I find that they are far too slow to roll out fixes and improvements to their kit and everything “seems” like it’s working on a wing and a prayer rather than a solid, slick system.

Thanks for your updates. :)

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.