Dipping my toe into smart light switching

LightwaveRF Communi… > Forum > Installation and… > Dipping my toe into…

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums Installation and Troubleshooting Dipping my toe into smart light switching

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  kevinpawsey 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
     kevinpawsey says:

kevinpawsey
    Participant

I have been looking at getting a smart switch for our lights at home so that I can integrate them with our cinema system (lights off at start of movie, back on again when pausing/at the end automatically).

My question is that at the moment we have a 2-way switch in the living room, and then the second switch downstairs to operate the same lights, would we have to replace BOTH switches for us to be able to get the LightwaveRF to work, or could I just replace one?

The reason for the question is that the entire lighting setup is something like this:
    1. Floor 1 light operated by 3-gang 2-way switch (A) as well as 3-gang 2-way floor 2 switch (B)
    2. Floor 2 switch (B) operates the upstairs lights and lights on the same floor, as well as a second switch on the same floor, which is a 2-gang 2-way switch (C) (… this MAY be a 3-way switch… haven’t taken it off the wall to check).
    3. Floor 2 switch (C) operates the lights on the same floor, and floor 3 lights, as well as a 1-gang 2-way (3-way?) switch (D) on floor 3
    4. Floor 3 lights are operated by switch (D) and a further 2-gang 2-way (3-way?) switch (E)

As you can see, that is a lot of switches to be replacing in one hit (nearly £500 of switches including the hub to run them all), so I wanted to know if it would be sufficient to replace switch (A), and leave the rest as non-smart switches, or if there is another solution as a stop-gap for this.

If anyone has any idea as to what would be the best solution I would be really grateful!

Thanks in advance for any help :)

btidey says:

btidey
    Participant

You can’t combine a lightwaverf dimmer plus a conventional one to achieve a two way circuit. You have to use lightwaverf at both ends.

This is obviously tricky for you as your switches are very interconnected.

If you are not planning to eventually smart switch everything up, but just want to smart the lights up in the cinema zone then it might be worth considering other options.

For example, if you can get at the main circuit feeding the cinema zone lighting, then you could put a relay in to override the 2 way switching. Relay could be a lightwaverf unit , but if this is going to be the only item, then there are other wifi based relays that could be used to avoid the need for a link.

kevinpawsey says:

kevinpawsey
    Participant

Thanks for the response… glad that my description kind of made sense to someone :)

The long term goal may be to smart switch everything, but it is difficult to justify doing that in one hit with the amount that it is going to cost to be honest… we aren’t sure how practical it is going to be, and was thinking about doing it just for the cinema room at the moment.

Certainly interested in hearing about the relay idea… it might help others with the same issue as me too :)

Thanks for your help so far, it is much appreciated.

Kevin

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.