Cutting the internal strapper in an L22

LightwaveRF Communi… > Forum > Installation and… > Cutting the interna…

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums Installation and Troubleshooting Cutting the internal strapper in an L22

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Greg66 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
     Greg66 says:

Greg66
    Participant

If you take apart an L22 you will find an internal strapper (ie a connecting wire) soldered into place that connects the two live terminals. This allows you to have a single live feed powering two different switched live loads.

I have a suspicion that sometimes this strapper confuses the processors in the switch. I’m tempted to “experiment” – in other words potentially burn £100 – by cutting the internal strapper and find out of the switch still works, or works differently.

Anyone tried this already?

cpcarrot says:

cpcarrot
    Participant

Did you do this? The internal strapped is causing me a bit of grief as I am looking to control two sets of lights on different rings and this is resulting in a borrowed neutral issue as the strapped ends up linking the two rings.

I’m trying to figure out exactly how the internal workings work. Wondering if there is a way I can potentially power the dimmer using one ring and then essentially use the other gang as a remote switch (by not hooking anything up to the other switched live out).

Greg66 says:

Greg66
    Participant

Yes, but I haven’t used it yet. It was a spare so I thought I’d play around.

However I’m finding the L22s to be a bit fragile – having just replaced a blown one today another one elsewhere in the house blew this evening. So I may try the strapperless spare later this week.

eddie121 says:

eddie121
    Participant

This has actually worried me so ive joined up to ask

I installed some lightwave stuff at the weekend, with an L22 switch

I actually put my own wire in between the two live terminals (as thats how it was on the manual switch) – both loads will be on the same circuit.

Is this going to cause a problem?

Thanks

Greg66 says:

Greg66
    Participant

It shouldn’t, but try removing your strapper and see if it still works. If it does, I’d ditch it and let the switch do the job.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.