Controlling the lights from my phone like I do with my heating

LightwaveRF Communi… > Forum > Future Products > Controlling the…

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums Future Products Controlling the lights from my phone like I do with my heating

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  mary1965 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
     mary1965 says:

mary1965
    Participant

Hi all, I am still new around here so apologies if I am not posting in the correct section of the forum. I was thinking to automate my home a bit more. I already installed a heating control system from Heat Genius and it works great but I wanted also to control the lights around my house. I have a 4 bedroom house and I would like to be also able to control the lightning and some of the electric from my phone like I do with my heating. There are so many products on the market but because I am no expert, I was wondering if you can advice me if there are products like this on the market and if there are, which ones are the best. Thanks in advance, Mary.

maryj
     mmcnamee says:

mmcnamee
    Participant

Hi Mary,

Probably fits into general discussion, but hey, I’m sure no one will object!

I’ve done 3 lightwaverf installs, one full house with plenty of other integration and 2 smaller ones, incorporating a handful of lights. I’ve been looking at some alternatives recently, e.g. Fibaro, which looks very promising. In all fairness Lightwave products are, on the whole, pretty good at what they do and in my opinion fairly easy to setup, if you have some basic knowledge of electrics. If you need to get an electrician involved, then you’ll have to ask them if they’re comfortable with the products you wish to install.

Lights are the main problem however, since there’s only really dimmer switches to directly replace the wall switch. Dimmable LED bulbs are fraught with compatibility problem with ALL electronic dimmers, but shopping around and reading what other people have tested and found success with helps. If you have uplights and table lamps plugged into 3-pin sockets, then these can be wired up with the plugin modules, which work very well. There are other options such as in-line relays, but these are more complex to setup from a physical installation point of view.

There’s a lot of factors that come into play, but if you have specific questions this forum is fairly responsive in my experience.

mary1965 says:

mary1965
    Participant

Thank you for you advice. It’s kind of difficult to find a well trained and experienced electrician on my own as usually my husband takes care of things like this, but he’s abroad and he will be for some time. I have had a good experience with the electrician that fitted my heating controller from Heat Genius but they arranged all that for me. I shall contact the installation company and ask for their advice but all the information you gave me is very useful, so thank you.

It’s amazing how this technology is now so advance that we can control pretty much everything from a phone. I am astonished at how well my zoned heating control system can be monitored and control just from my Samsung phone. I find this whole industry extremely innovative. For instance, the system that I have knows when I’m inside a room so it turns the heating on. It’s amazing! Thanks again for your advice.

maryj
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.