Controlling lights using in line relay (LW821)

LightwaveRF Communi… > Forum > Installation and… > Controlling lights…

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums Installation and Troubleshooting Controlling lights using in line relay (LW821)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  mattafcuk 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
     mattafcuk says:

mattafcuk
    Participant

Hi All,

I have a number of non dimmable lighting circuits in my house, mainly because these have too many bulbs to allow the circuit to work as a dimmable circuit.

If I want to add an inline relay into the feed to enable me to switch as part of a mood / by the controller / motion sensor etc.

If I’m to do this does the presence of a standard switch line prevent the relay from working or does it just enable the circuit to be switched by the relay with the main switch acting as a ‘master off’ switch.

Hope that makes sense.

btidey says:

btidey
    Participant

There is different functionality that could be achieved depending on how you choose to wire the relay and the switch.

1) Put the relay on/off in series with the manual switch feeding the lamps. This will mean the lamps only come on if both the manual switch is on AND the relay is activated. This would be OK if you want to leave the manual switch on most of the time and normally control things via the relay. You can then override to off via the manual switch but you then have to turn it back on to get relay functionality back.

2) Put the relay on/off in parallel with the manual switch feeding the lamps. This will mean the lamps come on if either the manual switch is on OR the relay is activated. This would be OK if you want to leave the manual switch off most of the time and normally control things via the relay. You can then override to on via the manual switch but you then have to turn it back off to get relay functionality back.

3) If the manual switch has 2 way wiring you could wire this with relay in changeover mode to get 2 way operation. I.e. changing manual switch or relay will flip the lights from whatever their current state is. The relay action is then a toggle not an on/off so it might get confusing.

mattafcuk says:

mattafcuk
    Participant

Thanks btidey, no.1 sounds fine for a downstairs toilet with the relay connected to a motion sensor, I’ll have a go at that. Other than that it’s less than ideal for bedroom / front room.

Is there any option for dimming bigger circuits with 20 x lights on the circuit.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.