Complete Lighting Re-Buy will be required for HomeKit Hub

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums General LightwaveRF Discussion Complete Lighting Re-Buy will be required for HomeKit Hub

Tagged: , , , , , ,

This topic contains 15 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  nevetsecirp 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
     mkdr30 says:

mkdr30
    Participant

Hi All

I’ve just had a brief exchange with a LWRF account on Facebook regarding the planned Lightwave Hub Plus (home kit). Many of us have assumed that to get two way comms and home kit compatibility, a new hub would be required. what this exchange appears to also confirm is that customers will have to re-buy all of their light switch products to enable home kit or 2 way comms for lighting.

apparently heating kit is ok. this is assuming this info is correct. if true, it throws existing lighting customers and their investments under the bus so to speak.

see image of convo.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     h3mp says:

h3mp
    Participant

Yeh – I had assumed that all light switches would need replacing, this is why I’ve not got around to finishing the house and find it hard to recommend to others to use at the moment.. product is ‘incomplete’ for the modern world until there is reliable 2-way comms..

rhlangdon says:

rhlangdon
    Participant

I am beginning to think that Philips’s Hue system could work out cheaper and more versatile in the long run for lighting

h3mp says:

h3mp
    Participant

do they do lightswitch replacements?

don63 says:

don63
    Participant

LWRF have also told me that homekit enabled relays aren’t in their short-term plans. That’s a little frustrating for me as I use quite a few relays with wireless switches for my lighting. However, I guess I just sit it out as I’ve yet to find anything that comes close to what lightwave offers.

rhlangdon says:

rhlangdon
    Participant

You can have an ordinary ligthswitch using Philips Hue as it is all controlled in the bulb. Dimming done from the all plus a myriad of other things such as colour changes etc. There is two way communication between bulb and Hub/app. You can also operate the lights via a hand control. I kept all my old light switches and it is tempting as it will be cheaper for me than upgrading switches with LWRF. Apple HomeKit works with Hue.

h3mp says:

h3mp
    Participant

h3mp wrote:

You can have an ordinary ligthswitch using Philips Hue as it is all controlled in the bulb. Dimming done from the all plus a myriad of other things such as colour changes etc. There is two way communication between bulb and Hub/app. You can also operate the lights via a hand control. I kept all my old light switches and it is tempting as it will be cheaper for me than upgrading switches with LWRF. Apple HomeKit works with Hue.

I mean I’d like light switches that control (rather than disable) the hue lights, in standard UK light switch size…

lukeredpath says:

lukeredpath
    Participant

I’m fairly certain that this is because two way communication is required as part of the HomeKit protocol spec, unfortunately.

I already control my LightwaveRF switches using RFXCOM, Domoticz and Homebridge, it works fairly reliably although you cannot rely on the HomeKit light status as it cannot keep in sync with the state of the lights. It doesn’t cause a problem with controlling the lights though.

bellissimo says:

bellissimo
    Participant

As long as existing kit works with the new hub I don’t see any problem. If you need 2-way comms (which is hardly essential for lighting) or the other features, then you can fork out for the new switches. It requires new hardware since they need to work on the 868 band rather than 433.

If Z-Wave is anything to go by, my concern would be that the wireless range would be affected. My LWRF kit has a significantly longer range than my Z-Wave kit, which is pretty useless unless you have plenty of mains powered devices to form a decent mesh.

nevetsecirp says:

nevetsecirp
    Participant

Philips Hue sounds fine, but if you read many of the posts on fbook, the problems start when wifi plays up, or somebody manually switches the light swith, and a lot of other manufacturers are bring cheaper versions out, at least with LWRF I am not reliant on wifi.
    As per Gen 2 I don’t need 2 way communication, it will be a nice to have as I either continue to add stuff or replace.
    I have tried alexa, google home, the apps etc and to be honest I still prefer either the switch or the handheld remote, by the time Ive got the app out on my phone, or remembered what phrase I need to say to alexa Ive picked the remote up and pressed the button.

One thing I would like LWRF to work on is better IFTTT scenarios within the apps, so if PIR detects something then switch socket on if between this time

I am happy with existing LWRF kit

LWRF light switches in several rooms, WIFI Link, Energy Monitor, Socket x3 and multiple On/Off adapters. PIR controlling lights and doorbell utilising light feature. TRV's for heating. Relays for garden and outside lamps Linked with Amazon Alexa via a dot
     rhlangdon says:

rhlangdon
    Participant

I agree with Nevetsecirp that having a simple hand held remote is often far far better than fiddling around to switch your phone on, find the app, find the room, find the device and the switch it on. For the many years I have had LWRF I have always had and regularly used a couple or more remotes kept handy by a chair etc.

Philips Hue works fine and am likely to use it for lights. There is no issue for me having to leave the light switched on. In the living room we use table lights plugged into a socket so easy to have them in the normal on position. I don’t need to use a Philips Hue bulb in an overhead central light other than in one room, my study but there I for a time removed the switch, joined the wires and put a blanking plate on it.

What LWRF gear I retain I do not need to control via the app but simply using a remote.

Going this route for me is cheaper than contemplating upgrading my LWRF gear to the new stuff. A lot cheaper for me as for various fortuitous reasons, I had a number of Hue bulbs. Their remote sensor works very well as does the SmartThings sensor.

darlomrh says:

darlomrh
    Participant

Off topic, enabling MQTT on the eDomoticz-homebridge improves sync issues with Home Kit.

As for the new LWRF Kit. I’m in bit of a quandary. I’m looking to start a new project.
    So I have the choices:
    1. Wait and go all in on LWRF. Switches/Thermostats and TRVs etc… Had one TRV, granted not sent it away for the service but wan’t impressed.
    2. Wait for LWRF2 and use Tado for heating. I have to say its looks slick and I would have Home Kit from both services.
    3. Take a punt on Den and Tado and hope Den is Home Kit compatible.

The deal for me is switches… the other half likes switches… not apps :)

Thoughts.

rhlangdon says:

rhlangdon
    Participant

But give your other half a remote control to switch the lights etc. and she will be happy. Mine was and found it much better to use but get her to use her phone and an app is hard work. Although she got used to using the Evohome app to adjust the heating. If one uses Philips Hue lights the Philips Hue dimmer remote can be configured to operate individual lights and in different rooms.

I would like to invest in the new LWRF gear but can’t justify the cost when I more or less can do what it does with Hue and Smartthings. The LWRF heating has always been a no go for me!

lonebaggie says:

lonebaggie
    Participant

Alexa for me. Always losing remotes and apps . Use HA-Bridge on PI to emulate Phillips Hue controller . Sub second local response no messing with internet to internet protocols. Just Say to Alexa “turn on Relaxed” , all dimmers in the living room to right settings. Then Alexa “turn on movies ” Harmony turns on TV and AMP and switches to NOW TV Perfect

tkdnate says:

tkdnate
    Participant

I would like to invest in the new LWRF gear but can’t justify the cost when I more or less can do what it does with Hue and Smartthings. The LWRF heating has always been a no go for me!

The two things that put me off Hue are exactly the reasons I quickly ditched the free Hive bulb kit I got from British Gas:

1) The bulbs are huge compared to standard bulbs
    2) For installations with several bulbs per room – it quickly becomes a huge expense to outfit a single room (not to mention replacing bulb failures in the future). My living room and dining room have a total of 9 bulbs, powered from a single double switch – a cost of £134.91 in basic Hue bulbs on day one (and £14.99 each time a bulb goes) – compare this to the £69.99 cost of a 2G dimmer for LWRF and I can buy bayonnet bulbls in packs of 4 for under £5.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.