Company relationships

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Chris 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
     Chris says:

Chris
    Key Master

In response to comments, further research and a deeper understanding, I am re-issuing this post and making it sticky.

There is clearly some confusion between the various companies, brands and organisations that make, distribute, market and sell LightwaveRF. I’m hoping this post clears up some of that confusion.

1) LightwaveRF is a technology developed by a company called JSJS Designs PLC – headquartered in Birmingham and floated on AIM (JSJS.L). Originally set up by John Shermer and John Sinclair hence the name JSJS Designs.

2) lightwaverf.com, the domain name (Internet address) is owned by JSJS Designs. The website was designed and is managed for them by LightwaveRF Retail Ltd – just another retailer like B&Q, Screwfix, Maplin, Vesternet, Response Electronics and everyone else. LightwaveRF Retail Ltd is owned and run by people with strong experience in online marketing and website design. The website is now much more professionally produced than the previous site built by the ‘engineers’ at JSJS Designs.

3) The lightwaverf.co.uk website is run by Response Electronics Ltd – again, just a retailer but at one time the only online sales presence for the LightwaveRF brand.

4) Megaman – a large company with serious buying and marketing power who have taken over distribution and marketing of the product range from JSJS Designs. They bring cash flow and marketing skills to the table and will be supplying all retailers, including lightwaverf.com and lightwaverf.co.uk, Maplin, B&Q and everyone else. They receive product direct from JSJS Designs and the Chinese factories and sell (distribute) to the retailers. JSJS Designs obviously make a profit from this. They have a lot of faith in the range and I think will really push it forward freeing up JSJS to do what they do best, invent! They have recently taken over the LightwaveRF Facebook presence from LightwaveRF Retail Ltd.

5) Siemens Room Control – is LightwaveRF under a different name. Originally a technology licensing arrangement which got products on the shelves of B&Q.

6) The ‘LightwaveRF’ app looks remarkably similar to one used by ‘CoCo’. CoCo are a separate company with a wholly different RF control technology and product range. When the saw the LightwaveRF Wi-Fi link, they wanted some of the same so entered into an agreement with JSJS Designs to use the network technology and protocol for their own product. Their radio control (RF) protocol is different though so while the apps look the same and are somewhat compatible (LightwaveRF actually offers more features), their hardware products will not control nor can be controlled by the LightwaveRF equipment.

7) Finally, lightwaverfcommunity.org.uk – this site. Totally unofficial with no formal relationship with JSJS Designs. A free house to discuss the products and solutions including compatibility (or not) with other, third party, solutions and the only dedicated forum for the technology. I edit and run this forum because I love the product range and want somewhere to talk about it. I make a small commission from the retailers listed when I send them clicks which result in sales and from advertising on the site. The commission keeps the site hosted, but doesn’t pay my mortgage (or even put food in the mouths of my kids) so I won’t be retiring on it any time soon! In the interests of full disclosure, I do have a small holding of shares in JSJS Designs that I chose to purchase as a private investor so obviously I’m keen to see them do well.

I hope this clears things up a bit. Any questions, comment, if I can’t answer them directly I will try and get an ‘official’ answer on behalf of the forum. My intention here is to clear up any confusion and/or speculation. It is far better that we all know where everyone stands and what relationships are in place than speculate wildly and be wrong.

Chris Mills Founder and Editor - LightwaveRF Community http://cpmills.com/ http://lightwaverfcommunity.org.uk
     Grrr says:

Grrr
    Participant

Great read, many thanks Chris! Could see the Siemens thing, was definitely wondering what all the other ones were.

JustMe says:

JustMe
    Participant

Chris, Thanks for taking the time to lay out the LightwaveRF stall.

Node Zero says:

Node Zero
    Participant

Hi Chris, thanks for taking the time to explain all the above, especially paragraph 6. :)

They have a lot of faith in the range and I think will really push it forward freeing up JSJS to do what they do best, invent!

As a share holder myself I would like to see the ‘This is not a home of the future, it’s a LW home’ promo video turned into a TV campaign to rival Hive. I would even be happy to see another placing to pay for this as it would send sales into orbit! Or maybe a placing would not be necessary if they went halves with Megaman and with the increased revenue available. I don’t suppose the possibility of this was mentioned in your recent meeting with Megaman?

I to think the LW products are great and I can see LightwaveRF being a household name in years to come if the cards are played right (or sooner if a takeover akin to Nest’s happens). Bentley or Aston Martin? lol

By the way, am I using the correct code for Ledhut discount? When I tried LEDRF20 last week I got a message saying its no longer valid.
    :)

Node Zero says:

Node Zero
    Participant

Megaman have now updated their website to include retailers etc. http://www.megamanuk.com/lightwaverf/products/where-to-buy/

Mike says:

Mike
    Participant

Great Info :-)

I’ve worked for Siemens & never heard of the LightWaveRF Relationship.

Very confusing when in B&Q where the products are clearly LightWaveRF.

Cheers, Mike.
     Ddwindy says:

Ddwindy
    Participant

Chris, I like many on these forums – are obviously interested in the direction that Lightwave is heading – and there are obvious concerns amongst people who have invested a quite substantial amount of money on product. I would be interested to know what plans are for the future – do Lightwave have for example a plan to start integrating into other products. Obviously ios8 is going to be a big one – but there are numerous Kickstarter projects that have Lightwave written all over them – i am just afraid that Lightwave are simply going to get left behind as technology moves on and that there is no-one that really has their finger on the pulse.

Perfect example below:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/474570093/sentri-welcome-to-a-smarter-home/widget/video.html

Node Zero says:

Node Zero
    Participant

I would be interested to know what plans are for the future

Here is an extract from the CEO in the half yearly report a couple of months back.

Product Development Strategies

Our focus on product, software and app development is centred around four strategies; 1. Products (covering Lighting, electrical, Eco monitoring, heating, cooling and security), 2. Apps, 3. Cloud Services/Data Mining and 4. Licencing.

Strategy 1 – Products

The business continues to introduce at pace a broad range of radio frequency controlled devices which on final launch of the new heating range will number over 100. The key step forward with the heating products is the introduction of an enhanced LightwaveRF protocol with two way communication to enable products to report on their status and to pass on commands. We now have a comprehensive range of lighting & electrical and heating products with further development underway. These will be further complemented by additional security products and new ways of Eco monitoring later in the year. We remain differentiated from our competition by the depth of our range but also our ability to control most household devices from one App.

Strategy 2 – Apps

We have already launched significantly enhanced Apps to the market during this trading period and added heating to the Apps capability. We plan to launch our first web app with more comprehensive scheduling functions for easier set up on PC, Mac and Tablet formats. We have shown our new smart watch app at the recent Gadget Show. All of these platforms will see further investment over the coming months.

Strategy 3- Cloud Services and Data Mining

Significant investment has now been made in to our web services and data capture for the University of Warwick. We can now monitor and record a range of parameters including temperature, room occupancy and window opening. We believe that this micro and macro monitoring of data and environmental control response will create more power to the LightwaveRF cloud platform with further revenue streams.

Strategy 4- Licensing

We are now actively pursuing a further broadening of the range by embedding LightwaveRF technology in partner products creating a “Connected by LightwaveRF” range of products. Not only does this accelerate the range of control available but adds a potentially new income stream from licence arrangements.

Outlook

The management team believe strongly in reinvesting in the company’s technology and brand at this stage in the companies evolution. While we are fully focussed on underlying profit and cash generation from our revenues we expect to make significant commitment to continued product development investment. The year should see a turnaround in the previous losses suffered by the business.

Ddwindy says:

Ddwindy
    Participant

Cheers Node Zero – all interesting information. The thing that i find annoying / worrying, is the number of products that are coming out that are integrating other home automation products (as an example Hive or Nest but as there are many many others) – and i am yet to see a product albeit in production, concept, or otherwise that is looking to develop the ability to control Lightwave products – the Kickstart project i focused on above was showing other products it could control – as users, wouldn’t it be great to see that these developers are looking to integrate Lightwave – even if it doesn’t happen – it would make me happier that people are considering Lightwave as a product they WANT to control.

Ddwindy says:

Ddwindy
    Participant

The above comment made a lot more sense in my head!! Hope you get the gist of it :/

Node Zero says:

Node Zero
    Participant

Haha, yes I get your gist. As a LWRF shareholder I also worry that they’ll end up as an ‘also ran’ unless they pull their finger out but they seem to be heading in the right direction with a new international distribution agreement with Neonlite and an approach by Apple to be a MFI developer. They have already integrated with a multiroom music system (Musaic i think?) so more of the same with the kind of product you linked to seems likely (Sentri looks great by the way).

ptruman says:

ptruman
    Participant

Does “thesmartshop.co.uk” need to be added in here?
    Ideally I’d be inclined to prioritise the order of the sites in terms of “official” and then on down :)

Chris says:

Chris
    Key Master

This post was originally written before the full transition of marketing activity to Megaman. The Smart Shop is what LightwaveRF Retail used to be i.e. no more official than any other retailer. I believe that the name change was to keep Megman (and their other retailers) happy and to divide the LightwaveRF marketing site from the LightwaveRF Retail Ltd (now smart shop) retail site.

Chris Mills Founder and Editor - LightwaveRF Community http://cpmills.com/ http://lightwaverfcommunity.org.uk
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

ABOUT Chris

Chris works as a techie for a large IT service provider. He is a geek at heart and loves nothing more than trying to automate his home. The problem is, his wife simply doesn't get it and can't understand why they can't have 'normal' lights like everyone else! Chris is dedicated therefore to implementing automation in a family friendly way.

View all posts by