Boiler Control

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Node Zero 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
     Reidy says:

Reidy
    Participant

Hi,

I really want to purchase the LightwaveRF solution for my house, however the biggest sticking point for me is the boiler control. I know there are thermostats available, but are their any signs of a boiler controller coming around? I don’t see the benefit of having the boiler on constant if all the radiators are off.

I did wonder whether an inline relay would help here, although I am dubious about have the boiler constantly being switched on / off at the mains.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    David

Node Zero says:

Node Zero
    Participant

You could wire the inline relay into the boiler room stat circuit as opposed to the incoming mains. If the boiler has its own programmer, leave it set to permanently on and let the LW timers take over the programming.

collectors says:

collectors
    Participant

Not all boilers will be the same,but i have 2 heating zones & a hot water zone controlled with motorized valves. I have wired this up with a 3 way relay that lRF sell. I have taken a live from the boilers programer to the 3 way relay & from the relay taken a single cables to each thermostat & connected to the live in on each stat. This allows me to use lightwave’s a timer on each zone.

alienkidmj12 says:

alienkidmj12
    Participant

im hoping someone can answer question about boiler control, should COM and NC be connected together, the guide isnt completely clear, ive wired it up by lookin at contacts from previous controller, ie

thermo plus a2-rf – lightwave controller

N ————–> N
    L ————–> L
    COM ————–> COM
    OFF ————–> NO (Normally Open)

however, the boiler doesnt completely shut off, im wondering if ive messed up somewhere :(

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     alienkidmj12 says:

alienkidmj12
    Participant

oops attached another pdf, the right one !!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     Scoobydoo says:

Scoobydoo
    Participant

You could wire the inline relay into the boiler room stat circuit as opposed to the incoming mains. If the boiler has its own programmer, leave it set to permanently on and let the LW timers take over the programming.

This is what i use and it works pefectly.

allgonepetetong says:

allgonepetetong
    Participant

Node Zero wrote:

This is what i use and it works pefectly.

So let me see if I understand this correctly:
    Wire in a JSJSLW830WH – LightwaveRF On/Off Inline Relays Switch (3000w) to the boiler.
    Have a home thermostat in each room all paired to the above relay
    Set the rad stat to the same temp as the home thermostat for that room

So essentially you are swapping out the boiler switch for the above 3000w relay. Have I got that right?

The problem I am having is that the radstats don’t talk to the boiler switch and therefore can’t call for heat independantly. The home thermostat is the only device that can switch the boiler on which is a massive flaw as far as I’m concerned.

Went down the Lightwave route when designing the lighting for new open plan Living/Kitchen/Dining room. Currently running 16 circuits (blinds and lighting) made up of a combination of: 3 Gang Dimmer x3, 1 Gang Dimmer x2, In Line Dimming Relay x1, Up/Down/Stop Relay x2, 3 Way On/Off Relay x2, PIR x1, WiFi Link.
     pandy84 says:

pandy84
    Participant

Hi all trying to install my boiler switch on my boiler it only has one wire going to the room stat as the other has already been bridged to the live in the boiler itself so all I have is L E N an another L going to the Room star how do I wire boiler switch original stat in pic.

fulous says:

fulous
    Participant

Hi everyone, I have a Glow-work Betacom 24 Combi boiler and a 3 way in-line relay. i want to use the relay to control my heating (Basically, leave the boiler programmer on always ON, and use the relay + timers to control heating schedules)
    I need any advice and help with wiring the relay onto the boiler.
    Can the new 3way in-line relay do the job? (stat control circuits are 24V DC iirc)
    Secondly, any one who has a similar boiler (or able to check its wiring diagram online and) advise on wiring.
    Many thanks

Node Zero says:

Node Zero
    Participant

If the stat circuit is 24v you’ll need to use the LW821 volt free relay. Wiring connections are pretty simple, just a 230v live, neutral and earth looped from the boiler supply input to the relay supply input to give a permanent supply to the relay, and then with your two 24v DC stat wires, one is connected to Com, the other to L1.

fulous says:

fulous
    Participant

If the stat circuit is 24v you’ll need to use the LW821 volt free relay. Wiring connections are pretty simple, just a 230v live, neutral and earth looped from the boiler supply input to the relay supply input to give a permanent supply to the relay, and then with your two 24v DC stat wires, one is connected to Com, the other to L1.

Many thanks for the response. I do have the LW825 and am not keen on spending more on the LW821, so can I use my 825 on the 250V boiler RT? Like using a junction boc to connect a boiler mains supply’s Live and Neutral into the 3way relay, then take a single Live from one output terminal othe relay, into the RT on the mains ports (X1 on the circuit diagram) AND remove the RT/24v bridge?
    I am planning to work on the above on Wednesday/Thursday, so would welcome any scrutiny on whether this plan is sound or not?
    Cheers

Node Zero says:

Node Zero
    Participant

Sorry @fulous but without being there to personally test and check your system, I couldn’t possibly say. The stat circuit on my boiler is 230v and it operates perfectly with the LW830.
    This thread may be of use although it relates to a Worcester boiler, if you are still unsure I’d seek professional advice.
    http://lightwaverfcommunity.org.uk/forums/topic/automated-heating/

fulous says:

fulous
    Participant

[quote=23627]Sorry @fulous but without being there to personally test and check your system, I couldn’t possibly say. The stat circuit on my boiler is 230v and it operates perfectly with the LW830.<br
    This thread may be of use although it relates to a Worcester boiler, if you are still unsure I’d seek professional advice.
    http://lightwaverfcommunity.org.uk/forums/topic/automated-heating/[/quote]

I finally decided to get the 821 and wired it up today. Everything is working perfectly, thanks very much Node Zero

Node Zero says:

Node Zero
    Participant

You’re welcome. I find this form of heating control much better and cost effective than the LW heating devices. You may not get remote temp adjustment but you don’t have to faff around with the day starts at 6 am scenario.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.