Amazon Echo / Dot?

LightwaveRF Communi… > Forum > General LightwaveRF… > Amazon Echo / Dot? > Page 4

Tagged: , , , ,

This topic contains 66 replies, has 34 voices, and was last updated by  Healeydave 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)
  • Author
     bernardh says:

bernardh
    Participant

I managed to get the ‘discover’ to work once I’d made some changes, but I can’t see (iOS) where a device is ‘offline’. (All I have the option to do is to delete a device, event, or mood.). I’d also like to find a way to delete or edit groups, but this doesn’t seem possible on the Alexa app. Is this something that has to be changed on the lightwave side only?

Steevo25 says:

Steevo25
    Participant

You don’t alwats have to delete the old device. The echo sometimes works it out. But in the ‘Smart Home’ section of the app, it lists all the devices it thinks you have. Occassionly when you make a change (like a name change) and then re-doscover, it leaves the old name in the list and flags it as offline. If this happens, then you just need to select ‘forget’ next to that offline device.

Alexa groups are nothing to do with LightwaveRF at all. This is purely for Alexa to group items together. I have a group called ‘Downstairs’ and when I go to bed at night, I simply tell Alexa to ‘Turn off Downstairs’. In that group I have all the items (lights, Television, Heating, sockets etc) that I want turned off when I am going to bed. To change the items in the group, I just go into the groups on the Alexa app and just check or uncheck the items I want to be affected by the group.

rhlangdon says:

rhlangdon
    Participant

This is helpful, thanks. I’ll give it a go

bernardh says:

bernardh
    Participant

Alexa groups are nothing to do with LightwaveRF at all. This is purely for Alexa to group items together. I have a group called ‘Downstairs’ and when I go to bed at night, I simply tell Alexa to ‘Turn off Downstairs’. In that group I have all the items (lights, Television, Heating, sockets etc) that I want turned off when I am going to bed. To change the items in the group, I just go into the groups on the Alexa app and just check or uncheck the items I want to be affected by the group.

Ah! That was what was confusing me. Thank you.

What about Lightwave actions? Can Alexa access those, or is it best to go with ‘her’ groups?

eoinverling says:

eoinverling
    Participant

Anyone know if it’s possible to get the “Current Temperature” via Alexa (or even via the API)?

adam123 says:

adam123
    Participant

That would great to know. If your Nest is set to 18 degrees and you ask Alexa to set it to 18, her reply “heating is already set to 18 degrees.” so she must be aware of current temperature.

Cris_L says:

Cris_L
    Participant

Please Can anyone help with this, I’m new to echo and Lightwaverf.
    I’ve just installed lightwaveRF dimmer switch to the living room. Alexa is linked and working nicely but when I say ” Alexa dim the living room light to xx” she says something about there being several devices and which do I mean. I then repeat “living room light” and it works.
    How can I make it work when I first give the command rather than repeat it?

If I say turn on/off living room light it works fine but dim commands need me to repeat.

bernardh says:

bernardh
    Participant

What’s not obvious is that you can create a group in the Alexa app and use this to refer to only one switch. So, you can experiment by renaming the group without needing to rename the switch or to keep getting Alexa to discover devices.

However, I have also found that when setting the dim level it’s best to say set to 20. It might be possible to solve your problem by saying “set living room lights to 50″

Rogerv says:

Rogerv
    Participant

Hi

I’m new to Echo and LWRF I have connected my Honeywell eco heating system to Alexa and works fine , ask her to turn a particular room temp up and its instant and works well

So I decided to start automating my lights got the hub and 2 dimmer lights to start off with, I installed the switches down loaded the app,added the skill to Alexa, discovered devices there they were my Honeywell heating and the LWRF devices. I got really excited thinking this was brilliant so I woke Alexa gave her the command “turn on the living room lights” she replied ok, I was really excited that my lights were about to come on,a week later I am still sat here waiting for them to come on

It has me really frustrated I can turn them on/off/dim via the app but Alexa just will not obey,I’ve tried various things, uninstalling unplugging re install Alexa and LWRF and still no luck

Any ideas

alonmalka1 says:

alonmalka1
    Participant

MISTAKE in the above, sorry,
    the above creates the OpenHAB lightwaverf switch
    You also need to create a Hue Switch in OpenHAB that can be detected by the Amazon Echo
    (the Amazon Echo OpenHAB bridge turns your OpenHAB into an emulated Philips Hue system, which Echo then detects/controls)
    Then you can link the Lightwaverf switch to the Hue switch using a Rule (or probably some more elegant method)
    updated guide below:

Hi,
    I tried installing OpenHAB on Windows with no luck. I can’t even find proper instructions to do this. Can anyone assist? Is it even possible to create a hue emulation on Windows?

Any help would be much appreciated. Maybe a guide to do so.

Thanks,
    Alon

btidey says:

btidey
    Participant

Hi

I’m new to Echo and LWRF I have connected my Honeywell eco heating system to Alexa and works fine , ask her to turn a particular room temp up and its instant and works well

So I decided to start automating my lights got the hub and 2 dimmer lights to start off with, I installed the switches down loaded the app,added the skill to Alexa, discovered devices there they were my Honeywell heating and the LWRF devices. I got really excited thinking this was brilliant so I woke Alexa gave her the command “turn on the living room lights” she replied ok, I was really excited that my lights were about to come on,a week later I am still sat here waiting for them to come on

It has me really frustrated I can turn them on/off/dim via the app but Alexa just will not obey,I’ve tried various things, uninstalling unplugging re install Alexa and LWRF and still no luck

Any ideas

For Alexa to work the Hub (link) needs to be able to check and act upon commands received from the Lightwaverf cloud servers. This is where Alexa sends the commands.

This is the same mechanism that the App uses when it is not connected to the local wifi network. So a good test is to turn the wifi off on the phone and then check the app commands sent to the cloud get acted upon OK.

You could also try logging onto the LightwaveRF server and sending commands from there.

GlynH says:

GlynH
    Participant

Please Can anyone help with this, I’m new to echo and Lightwaverf.
    I’ve just installed lightwaveRF dimmer switch to the living room. Alexa is linked and working nicely but when I say ” Alexa dim the living room light to xx” she says something about there being several devices and which do I mean. I then repeat “living room light” and it works.
    How can I make it work when I first give the command rather than repeat it?

If I say turn on/off living room light it works fine but dim commands need me to repeat.
    ———-

^^This

I also see this problem. For example I have a few rooms where the only device is a single dimmer i.e. Office.

I can say Alexa, ‘Office Light ON’ and ‘Office Light Off’ six times in a row and it functions exactly as expected.

The seventh time I repeat exactly the same instruction in the same tone at the same volume and instead of switching the light I get; ‘I found several devices matching that name. Which one did you want?’

I repeat ‘Office light’ and I get the reply ‘OK’ and the light switches.

The odd thing is that I only have one entry for Office and only the single light within that room. No Alexa group that sounds remotely like Office…nothing.

I wonder why it does that?

Not an insurmountable problem as most of the time it works as expected but annoying never the less. It usually seems to happen when you are demonstrating the system to someone for maximum embarrassment a bit like saying to someone ‘Hey look at this trick my dog can do and he just sits there scratching his ear instead of turning somersaults or balancing on one leg or something he does the rest of the time! :)

Thanks & kind regards,
    -=Glyn=-

Noghar says:

Noghar
    Participant

Lightwave have announced that LWRF is now a Skill in the Alexa app but I can’t find it. Is it iOS only? I saw a YouTubr video of someone using it but they were using an iPhone. I am on Android. Bit boring to announce it as available when it isn’t for about half of all smartphone users.

clinkadink says:

clinkadink
    Participant

LightwaveRF is a skill in the Alexa app. I am on Android and I have it.

http://alexa.amazon.co.uk/spa/index.html#skills/dp/B01M5C987C

Node Zero says:

Node Zero
    Participant

Just found it no problem

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.