Amazon Echo / Dot?

LightwaveRF Communi… > Forum > General LightwaveRF… > Amazon Echo / Dot? > Page 2

Tagged: , , , ,

This topic contains 66 replies, has 34 voices, and was last updated by  Healeydave 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)
  • Author
     lonebaggie says:

lonebaggie
    Participant

Light-ware RF now available as a native skill on UK Amazon Echo

Not tried it yet

clinkadink says:

clinkadink
    Participant

Just tried it. Pretty good. This will be a huge relief for many LWRF and Echo users. That said, there is still a 5-10 second delay between commands and the device being triggered. Certainly not as quick as locally via a Raspberry Pi (sub 1 second).

BenGmuN says:

BenGmuN
    Participant

Really pleased to see an official LightwaveRF skill now available for the Echo.

However, can’t work out how to control my LightwaveRF relay switches (configured as open/close relays in the LWRF app). When I say “Alexa, turn on the…. **NAME OF RELAY**” or “Alexa, turn off the…. **NAME OF RELAY**” Alexa says “That command does not work with the device…”. If I say “Alexa, open the **NAME OF RELAY**” or “Alexa, close the **NAME OF RELAY**” I get the generic “Sorry, I don’t know the answer to that question” or whatever.

Any thoughts?

clinkadink says:

clinkadink
    Participant

In the alexia app, under smart home, did you press Discover Devices?

h3mp says:

h3mp
    Participant

In the kitchen I have a relay controlling the under cupboard lighting
    room name = Kitchen
    item name = cupboard

I can just say “Alexa, turn cupboards on” and it works

I also made a group in the echo app called kitchen, in it is this relay plus 2 more light dimmers.
    again i can say “Alexa, turn kitchen on” – this activates the group and it in turn switches on all 3 devices.

BenGmuN says:

BenGmuN
    Participant

Thanks both. I have a relay (the same model – 500w inline) connected to my outside lights – this works with on/off commands. I have two blinds and three curtain relays. These are listed in the Alexa app, so I don’t think discovery is the issue (but I’ve run it a number of times anyway).

I suspect what’s happening here is simply a case of the LightwaveRF skill is set up to recognise open/close commands (for relays that are configured as open/close relays), but the Echo itself is not. I believe the same is true of open/close devices in Smartthings or Yonomi. It’s not possible to use “Open” or “Close” verbs to interact with smart home skills at the moment.

Would love to know if this is accurate though and whether it’s being addressed in the near future!

puddin says:

puddin
    Participant

I’m having the same problem Ben. I use relays set as Open/Stop/Close to control outside lights letting me choose between permanently on, off and auto using their built-in PIR’s. I have tried reassigning them as On/Off then re-running discovery at which point I can use the commands On & Off with Alexa. But when I set them back to Open/Stop/Close in the Lightwave app Alexa says OK after I give a command, but it doesn’t get actioned on the relay. If the worst comes to the worst I suppose I will have to set up 2 devices in the Lightwave app for each relay, one on/off one open/stop/close. Maybe it will change with the official launch of the service.

BenGmuN says:

BenGmuN
    Participant

Thanks Puddin. Yeah I’ve done exactly that – added five duplicate devices to the app (as on/off devices) and paired these with the relays. I renamed my existing open/close devices and gave the on/off devices the ‘proper’ names (i.e. the name I want to use with my voice command).

Incidentally (slightly off topic, but pretty cool), I have an RFXtrx433E USB adapter for the PC, which means I can intercept the signals from the LightwaveRF link and, using EventGhost, trigger any number of other actions. I also have a WiFi Kettle, which can be controlled via Telnet. What I’ve therefore been able to do is add another on/off device in LightwaveRF called ‘Kettle’, transmit the on/off commands via the app, detect these signals in EventGhost and use them to fire off a Python script that connects to my kettle via telnet and tells it to boil or switch off. In essence, I now have a LightwaveRF-controllable kettle, and can switch it on and off using the app, or indeed the LightwaveRF smart home skill for Alexa :) You could potentially do the same with any other device for which there is no native smart home skill but can be controlled via a PC. Pretty cool.

Sadly, the inability to control smart home devices with “open” or “close” commands is down to Amazon to resolve. I contacted them and they said that it was “not supported” – they gave no indication of whether or not it would be in future. I just hope the folks at LightwaveRF can persuade them that it’s really needed. “Alexa, turn off the curtains” just isn’t right!

skiv71 says:

skiv71
    Participant

The ‘open’ and ‘close’ is definitely relevant to HA and I’ll be adding it to my skill.

Don’t have any curtain’s myself though :)

Neil

developer of BMS Link (http://linode.bmslink.co.uk). A cloud based Home Automation platform for LightwaveRF, Z-Wave, RFXCOM.
     melhaipau says:

melhaipau
    Participant

I bought my Alexa a few months ago before they were released here,
    I cant add the lightwave skill does anyone have a solution? as its not shwing up in the skills section

Just Steve says:

Just Steve
    Participant

Relays are operating normally with the LWRF android app and WebApp, However, the Smart Home function of the Alexa app won’t discover anything either with the LWRF skill disabled or enabled.

Any ideas?

Just Steve says:

Just Steve
    Participant

Relays are operating normally with the LWRF android app and WebApp, However, the Smart Home function of the Alexa app won’t discover anything either with the LWRF skill disabled or enabled.

Any ideas?

All working now. Looks like it was an Amazon issue.

Tavis75 says:

Tavis75
    Participant

I bought my Alexa a few months ago before they were released here,
    I cant add the lightwave skill does anyone have a solution? as its not shwing up in the skills section

That will be because your Echo is connecting to the US skill store I would think, you need to be using the UK one to get the LWRF skill.

Rubricsinger says:

Rubricsinger
    Participant

Hi I am a bit confused – according to the website below and the video on YouTube linked below that – as of Nov 5th I should be able to add a LightwaveRF skill to the Alexa app (as shown in the video very clearly). However I cannot find it at all. Plus, when I msged the LightwaveRF Facebook account they did not seem to know anything about the Alexa skills app.

Does anyone know what’s going on here ?

Thanks

Here is the website claiming integration with Alexa:-
    http://www.lightwaverf.com/alexa/

Here is the YouTube video that shows it :-
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QyD4xB0fU_o

Rubricsinger says:

Rubricsinger
    Participant

Forget the above – it appears that Amazon themselves are to blame. They fixed it with an online chat support person after I explained the issue. took about 2 mins to fix. :)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.