400 Series Dimmers now available and 10% OFF at LightwaveRF.co.uk to celebrate!

LightwaveRF Communi… > Forum > Special Offers > 400 Series Dimmers… > Page 3

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums Special Offers 400 Series Dimmers now available and 10% OFF at LightwaveRF.co.uk to celebrate!

This topic contains 78 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Chopper 4 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 79 total)
  • Author
     rhlangdon says:

rhlangdon
    Participant

Thanks Hussein, very helpful. The sort of mixed experience I have had with bulbs. My two gang slave is certainly f….d after connecting the new type 2 gang master unit. I have searched and there now does not appear to be a 2 gang slave in the catalogue. I thought of making one by getting two 1 gang slaves, taking the bits out and putting them in to the old 2 gang box but they are made differently. Then the brain kicked in and common sense told me I don’t need slaves at all if I simply put a battery powered switch where I would out the slave. Perhaps that is why there are no two gang slaves now.

rhlangdon says:

rhlangdon
    Participant

Packaging? Yes it is easier thank goodness. Well it is for the light switches, that for a one gang socket I bought is the same as before, not only thief proof but user proof!

I notice that with the new 400 series switches the light is almost instant on, dimming is more a low setting.

Officially the manufacturers are saying the 400 series light switches are compatible with the 200 series but in my case clearly they are not. My 2 gang slave is certainly knackered. I cannot replace it as they are not made now but have raised the issue with LightwaveRF . At least there is an alternative solution – a 2 gang battery switch which I should have tomorrow.

rhlangdon says:

rhlangdon
    Participant

An update re 400 and 200 compatibility.

I raised a ticket with LightwaveRF and they assured me the 400 series dimmers were compatible with the 200 series slave units despite that not being my experience. My 2 gang slave controlled on one side a hall light and the other a landing light. It was the hall side that I installed the 400 series dimmer and that side that then failed. The other side (connected to a 3 gang 200 series master) continued to work fine.

I disconnected the 2 gang slave entirely and then wired up the hall light (controlled by the 400 series dimmer) to the other side that had been used for upstairs. It worked fine. Thus only one side of the 2 gang slave has “blown”. I wired it back to where it should be and the blown side is still knackered. The only but is that when I first installed the 400 series dimmer it worked fine via the slave for a while (about 30 minutes I think) but I did not leave it that long this time as I needed to get the job finished.

I have now installed a 2 gang battery switch to control the hall and landing lights and this is great. It has the advantage of needing less room in the back box as well.

All power was of course off when I did it all but something, a surge of some sort I don’t know caused the 2 gang slave to pack up. It is only a light fitting though. All I did after installing was to try different LEDs to see which may work – none in fact as all my current supply stayed on when the light was meant to be off.

Am operational again but have lost a 2 gang slave and had to buy a 2 gang battery switch; cheaper than the slaves though!

Incidentally, the battery switch came today, it would not pair even though the light shone bright. I replaced the battery and all was fine. Old stock no doubt!

I have on order some Megaman 7 watt golf balls and will see how it copes with those when they come although from what Hussein has outlined it seems it may not. I clearly was gullible to believe the new switches would work better with LEDs!

hussein says:

hussein
    Participant

Just a quick note to mention that the 7W Megaman Candle / Golf is actually a fairly old product (in terms of the life cycle of these things). The 7W Golf E14 that I have is actually discontinued and its only a matter of time until they run out of stock of all the others and the whole range is EOL’d. The new replacement is the more efficient and more interesting looking IncandaLED range – which I’m quite confident the new 400 dimmers will have been tested and tuned to work with.

Also, just another note where you say “work better with LEDs”, you cannot put all LED lamps together and really have to think of each specific product separately. As their drivers and electronics vary so much as do all of their dimming characteristics – even between ranges of a single manufacturer as we see here.

It actually bugs me when I see ‘LED Compatible’ on packaging. Some smart dimmers (Varilight vPro) which monitor load and adjust themselves work with a lot of lamps, but really nothing is completely 100% universal and I know of lamps that don’t play nice with those too.

http://hussein.jodiyawalla.co.uk/
     LWRF.co.uk says:

LWRF.co.uk
    Participant

We are LightwaveRF.co.uk who are one of the main UK distributers of the LightwaveRF products.

We have come across a few questions in the forums regarding the new 400 series Switch Dimmers. We would like to offer some information which may be useful.

For those LightwaveRF Community members, who would like a simple run down of the differences between the previous 200 series LightwaveRF switch dimmers and the newer 400 series switch dimmers launched recently, please see the following information:

Key Differences between the 200 and 400 series switch dimmers –

• Aesthetics + Design:

Front fascia’s are identical so no problems in installing both variants together within your property.
    Back of the units are different. Moulding changed and modules sealed.

• Switch Dimmer Innards/Hardware:

Old 200 series dimmer’s were “Triac” based (which essentially use a ‘wire wound’ older style dimmer coil – designed for gradual dimming – good for incandescent bulbs, but not greatly compatible with anything else.)
    The newer 400 series dimmer switches are “Mosfet” based (which are an electrical dimmer, which all Bulb’s and LED’s work better with.)

• Compatibility

The new 400 series switch dimmers are fully compatible with the previous 200 series switch dimmer’s/slave switches.

• Loading:

1-gang / 2-gang (LW400 / LW420)
    Input Rating: 220 – 240V ~ 50Hz.
    Output Rating: 3W – 250W max (per gang)
    3-gang / 4-gang (LW430 / LW440)
    Input Rating: 220 – 240V ~ 50Hz.
    Output Rating: 3W – 210W max (per gang)
    When using LED lighting, it is recommended to utilise LED’s not exceeding 24W.

• Depth of Dimming Adjustment Setting.

New 400 series has an adjustment setting which the 200 doesn’t have.
    The setting can be utilised to adjust the depth of dimming to reflect the LED’s used. This will work to increase or decrease the depth of dimming levels for the switch dimmer to prevent any flickering/flashing.
    This feature will be explained concisely in the new 400 series switch dimmer manuals.

We hope the above information is helpful.
    Should you require any further information, or have any general queries or questions, please don’t hesitate to contact our customer helpline on telephone number: 0345 257 1000

LWRF.co.uk says:

LWRF.co.uk
    Participant

For any LightwaveRF community members that may still not be aware, please note there is currently a promotional offer running to obtain a 10% discount applied to any order placed.
    Click on the following hyperlink: http://www.lightwaverf.co.uk/, then add your products to your basket, and use the code “LWRFCF10″ at the checkout to get 10% off your total order.
    The promotion expires on the 15th June.
    Place your order using the voucher code straight away to ensure you get the best pricing currently available for the new ’400 Series’ LED Compatible Dimmer switches.

rhlangdon says:

rhlangdon
    Participant

As you implied Hussein the Megaman 7 watt golf balls are not of course fully compatible with the LightwaveRF switch and indeed the new 400 series. I would have expected that as we are told that they are OK, 3 of them should work fine. I accept one on its own or perhaps 2, may not. But no, three 7 watt Megaman said to be compatible golf ball bulbs all stay lit when in a fitting powered by a 400 series switch.

As you point out it is not really the total wattage, although that is helpful, but the specifications of each bulb and there being no common approach. I have for example three 4.5 watt bulbs in a light fitting controlled by a 200 series dimmer and all is fine.

May be it is our fault, we are the early adopters, testing the system for the suppliers, but after this length of time the manufacturers ought to be getting it right, have a common approach and not distil misleading information.

LightwaveRF it seems have been reading this forum having posted a response above. What seems not to have happened is somebody test switches with various bulbs and scenarios in order that consumers can be properly advised. It appears that has not happened so it is left to the consumer to do the testing at the consumer’s expense buying lots of different bulbs until he finds ones that work. That is not the way to run a business.

Got no heating stuff yet either!

Richard.

markk says:

markk
    Participant

What about the “*depth of dimming adjustment setting”? Is there one? Can this be adjusted to make the lamps works correctly?

Running RFXCom with Domoticz on raspberry pi3. LWRF dimmer switches, PIRs and plug sockets. Some Homeeasy switches, harmony hub controlling AV and air con. Geofencing with Pilot app. Tado for heating and cooling.
     rhlangdon says:

rhlangdon
    Participant

From LWRF’s response it seems they are producing a new manual for the 400 series and there is some method of adjusting the dimming but I don’t think the new manual has been released. I can find one for the older type switches. Strange to release a product and not release the manual alongside it.

hussein says:

hussein
    Participant

There are instructions for increasing the dimming range included with the dimmer. I would recommend you always adjust this, personally, my lights are a little bit too bright when turned down using the default setting.

Max Brightness is Max Brightness, this is not adjustable – when you are adjusting the dimming range what you are actually doing is adjusting the Minimum Brightness level. Some lamps may flicker if the minimum brightness is too low, which is why this is adjustable. Out of the box the dimmer is set to the brightest minimum level which is technically the ‘most compatible’.

To change this:
    1) Hold down both up and down buttons to enter Pairing Mode. When the lights blink alternately you are in pairing mode, let go of the buttons.
    2) Tap the top button twice to enter Dimmer Adjustment Mode. The connected light will change brightness and then settle into the current set ‘Minimum Brightness Level’.
    3) You can adjust this now by tapping the up and down buttons to the level of Minimum Brightness you are happy with (normally you would use the down button to set this as low as you can unless your lamps flicker). There are 5 levels of Minimum Brightness Setting.
    4) When you are happy with your new minimum light level, hold down both the up and down buttons until the blue LED flashes to save your setting.

http://hussein.jodiyawalla.co.uk/
     rhlangdon says:

rhlangdon
    Participant

Thanks for this.

ant_thomas says:

ant_thomas
    Participant

For any LightwaveRF community members that may still not be aware, please note there is currently a promotional offer running to obtain a 10% discount applied to any order placed.
    Click on the following hyperlink: http://www.lightwaverf.co.uk/, then add your products to your basket, and use the code “LWRFCF10″ at the checkout to get 10% off your total order.
    The promotion expires on the 15th June.
    Place your order using the voucher code straight away to ensure you get the best pricing currently available for the new ’400 Series’ LED Compatible Dimmer switches.

I guess the coupon code has now expired?

LWRF.co.uk says:

LWRF.co.uk
    Participant

**Notification**
    Current update on what is going on at LightwaveRF.

They have now launched the 400 series of dimmer. This has enhanced compatibility with dimmable LEDs. However this is not a blanket for every LED on the market. They can state that they have been designed to work with all dimmable ‘Megaman’ LEDs.
    LEDs from other manufacturers will be more likely to work with the 400 series than 200 series, but they cannot guarantee this.
    However, they have identified a fault with the 400 series compatibility with the 200 series slaves and vice versa. They are currently investigating the difference between production and samples to resolve this. The current situation is that you cannot use 200 series slaves with 400 series masters, nor 400 series slaves with 200 series masters. Wiring these in will damage the slave module completely. They will update everyone when further information is available.

rhlangdon says:

rhlangdon
    Participant

On the bulb issue I now have some Megaman golf ball and candle bulbs on route to me that am advised are compatible. Will report back with details when they have arrived. There is a table of compatible bulbs that Megaman have produced and it might be useful if there was a link to it here.

On the slave 400/200 issue yes my 200 slave blew but I think the battery remote switches are a better way forward than using slaves. Just no wiring and they do the same job at a lot less the price.

Richard.

Chopper says:

Chopper
    Participant

Thanks for the update Richard.

I’ve got three rooms I’m holding off upgrading pending your feedback.

My kitchen has 2 light fittings needing 3 dimmable golf bulbs each
    The lounge has 2 light fittings needing 5 dimmable candle bulbs in each
    The bedroom 1 light fitting with 5 dimmable candle bulbs in.

Which bulbs are you trialling?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

ABOUT Chris

Chris works as a techie for a large IT service provider. He is a geek at heart and loves nothing more than trying to automate his home. The problem is, his wife simply doesn't get it and can't understand why they can't have 'normal' lights like everyone else! Chris is dedicated therefore to implementing automation in a family friendly way.

View all posts by