3 way switching confusion…need experiance.

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums Installation and Troubleshooting 3 way switching confusion…need experiance.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Grunthos 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
     Mills888 says:

Mills888
    Participant

Hi Members, Ive been a user of gen 1 for 7+ years running about 5 sockets, 8 light switches, energy meters and original direct bulbs and found it all to be easy to install and set up until I need to fit dimmer into the new kitchen extension with the following set up:-

Three switch points with double switches that light two sets of lights zones (1 x set of spots and 1 x set of pendents). After reading up and calling LW tech support I was informed that to do this is easy with three core existing wire and all I needed was 1 x master (LW455C) and 2 x slave (LW452C).

I told my electrician, showed him the spec and he was bit miffed at the fact that the master had 1 master and one ‘slave’ in it and not two masters. With this in mind I rang LW tech support and again, explained the set up, again and they insisted that it would work.

I ordered them with the mindset that we could give it a try and see what happens (as long as we didn’t put any power into the switch cable).

We have just fitted them and like the electrician had suggested one of the zones works fine as it has a master but the other doesn’t. We then linked the signal wire across to the master to see if that’s how it works but no luck either. it just sits in a fast rate of flashing orange.

Has anyone else fitted this set up with what LW tech support suggested and got it to work ?

My electrician has suggest I need to purchase another master then sit that nest to the other but that’s not the advise I got from LW ?

Any experience would be appreciated

Stu

btidey says:

btidey
    Participant

Lightwave support advice for this does not sound right. They must have misunderstood the requirement.

Each independent lighting circuit needs a master. You seem to have just 1 master in the whole set up so that can’t work.

I would have thought you would need either

a) 1 double gang 2 x master (LW420) + 2 double gang 2 x slave (LW452)

or

b) 2 double gang master + slave (LW455) + 1 double gang slave (LW452)

Maybe ask LW support how they expect a set up with only 1 master to control 2 circuits or ignore them and go with what electrician and logic suggests.

Mills888 says:

Mills888
    Participant

Thanks for taking the time to have a look at this and confirming the correct way to do it. I have now ordered the LW420 (which is cheaper???) to complete the set up.

Strange advise from tech support almost making it more complicated than it needed to be ?

Stu

Grunthos says:

Grunthos
    Participant

I support btidey’s suggestion for a working solution and applaud his restraint in suggesting that “Lightwave support … must have misunderstood the requirement.”

Very generous!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.