3 Gang with one gang two way – problem

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums Installation and Troubleshooting 3 Gang with one gang two way – problem

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  btidey 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
     StackH says:

StackH
    Participant

HI all

Apologies if this has been asked before. I have just purchased a LW430 3 gang switch and a LW450 slave for my kitchen. We have three lights in the kitchen – light 1 is 2 way controlled (by one gang of a 3 gang switch and a separate one gang switch), and the other two lights are controlled by the remaining 2 gangs on the 3 gang switch (both 1 way only).

The problem I have is that whoever wired the kitchen has used a three core cable directly between the switches for the two way light, but used one of the cores to connect the neutral from the light fitting back to the neutral in the master (3 gang) switch. I’ve attached an image to show how it’s wired.

The problem I have is that the LW switches need 3 cores between the master and slave (live, signal and switched live) but because one of the 3 cores is used as a neutral I only have two cores available. Does this mean I can’t have a slave switch for this light?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     btidey says:

btidey
    Participant

Diagram as posted doesn’t show the full wiring so it is difficult to comment.

There are several ways 2 way lighting can be wired with the most common using 3 cores between the switches but none of those is a neutral.

Post some more info or pictures of wiring behind the switches.

If for some reason it proves impractical to use the existing wiring, you could use just a wire-free switch (LW201) paired back to the gang on the master.

StackH says:

StackH
    Participant

Post some more info or pictures of wiring behind the switches.

Thanks for replying so quickly.

Basically, there are three light fittings. Two of the lights have a twin and earth down to the three gang switch, the other has a twin and earth down to the single gang switch.

There is a twin and earth feed into the three gang switch.

Between the three gang switch and the single gang switch is a three core and earth. Two of the cores are used for strappers on the two way circuit, the third is used as a neutral return from the third light fitting because it is wired down to the single gang switch but needs to go back to the feed neutral in the three gang switch.

So, I believe that without re-wiring I cannot use the slave LWRF switch to replace the single gang switch because I only have two cores available to me but it needs 3 cores to connect back to it’s master in the three gang switch.

btidey says:

btidey
    Participant

OK. I think I understand your current wiring scheme.

Basically the 2 wires directly from the bulb are brought down into the standalone 1 way switch, and a LN feed is brought into the 3 way switch. The L is 2 way switched down through 2 of the interconnecting wires, through the bulb and then back down the third neutral wire which is connected into the N wire separately in the back of the 3 way switch.

If so I agree that is difficult to fit standard LightwaveRf slave into this without re-wiring. Your best option to avoid this would be to use the wirefree unit.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.