3 gang dimmer, only one channel in use, not linking. Why?

LightwaveRF Communi… > Forum > Installation and… > 3 gang dimmer, only…

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums Installation and Troubleshooting 3 gang dimmer, only one channel in use, not linking. Why?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Noghar 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
     Noghar says:

Noghar
    Participant

For some reason, though I’ve been using LWRF products for more than a year, I recently received an email called ‘welcome to Lightwave RF’ which offered several ‘tips’ for installation. Which irritated me slightly as I had just paid an electrician to install several new LWRF switches in my kitchen, and it would have been good to know beforehand that he should :

‘ 6. …make sure the master dimmer is installed before the 2-Way dimmer.

7. The right hand gang of every dimmer (labeled master one) has to be powered for any dimmer gang to work. ‘

It seems to me these should be in the printed instructions and not added as an afterthought in an email.

Anyway, my question is: I have a three-way dimmer controlling a single circuit, so two of the channels are not being used (I had to buy a three-way – the switch I was replacing was three-way) The electrician wired the left-hand channel only, the one closest to the circuit it controlled. Now contrary to the ‘tip’ above the switch does work, EXCEPT it won’t link to anything – I have tried pairing it with a wireless switch and a phone, that both paired just fine with all the other switches.

Is it not linking because I am only using the left-hand channel? Or is it a faulty unit?

I’m also peeved because to make the dimmers work properly I had to replace all 26 LEDs with Megaman models. But I guess that’s bleeding-edge tech for you.

Grunthos says:

Grunthos
    Participant

Yep, it will “work” locally, but the right hand element is the one housing the radio receiver…
    Hence no linking – it can’t “hear” anything…

Noghar says:

Noghar
    Participant

Thanks for that.

A few minutes after posting the query I rang support and they confirmed, yes, I should have wired the right-hand gang first. The one marked ‘Master 1′ on the control unit. I did that and the unit linked to my wireless switch. It seems I can’t join it to the existing group on my app however – I suspect I will have to delete that group and start again.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

ABOUT Noghar

Fiftysomething gadget freak, the wife's despair. My garden office has LWRF controlled lights and heating, with voice commands thanks to Alexa...

View all posts by