2 way light switch wiring

LightwaveRF Communi… > Forum > Installation and… > 2 way light switch…

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  mark.leaney 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
     jonesy says:

jonesy
    Participant

Hi people,

I purchased a double dimmer and double plug socket and wifi box for my living room. Installed them and they worked fine. Fantastic I thought, they work great and my wife loves being able to turn things on and off from her phone.

So I thought I’d take the next step and sort the hallway, I purchased several 2 way master and slave dimmers which arrived today.

After 5 hours of trying I am a bit stuck. It would seem that the two way light wiring in my house is different from the instructions provided with the kit. Every single two way light socket only has 4 wires in it.

1- com
    2 – l1
    3 – l2
    4 – earth

Am I right in thinking that none of the original light fittings are masters or slaves, and therefore will not work with the master/slave configuration that lightwave recommend.

When I did connect the master and slave up I just got a flickering orange led.
    My house has halogen lights throughout so I know that it’s not the bulbs.

Can anyone help at all?

Cheers,
    Chris

markk says:

markk
    Participant

Hi Chris. You may be ok but don’t go any further before reading the previous posts on here regarding two way wiring. If you do it wrong you risk blowing the slave. The connections in the LWRF stuff is different so no other switch require a master and slave.

Running RFXCom with Domoticz on raspberry pi3. LWRF dimmer switches, PIRs and plug sockets. Some Homeeasy switches, harmony hub controlling AV and air con. Geofencing with Pilot app. Tado for heating and cooling.
     Andy says:

Andy
    Participant

Jonesy, how many two way switches are there controlling the light ?

It appears to have been wired in a different way, where the feed has gone to the common on the first switch and the switch wire comes off the common on the last switch.

You may have to install one master dimmer and join the cables out in your other switch box then use a wireless switch.

Can you post pictures of the switch connections ?
    I’m confident there is a way round this.

jonesy says:

jonesy
    Participant

@ markk, thanks for the post. I have read all the previous posts but still can’t seem to figure it out.

@ Andy, thanks mate. I have many 2 way switches in the house. I have added pics of the first one I’m attempting.

I have uploaded the pictures.
    The first pic is taken from underneath the switch, it is the 2 gang 2 way. the layout is as follows.
    Left side of the gang – Com = Red, L1 = Yellow, L2 = Blue.
    Right side of the gang – Com = Red, L1 = Blue, L2 = Yellow

The second pic is the single gang from left side of the 2 gang 2 way
    Com = Red, L1= Blue, L2 = Yellow

The third pic is the single gang from the right side of the 2 gang 2 way.
    Com = Red, L1 = Black, L2 = Red

Having a quick look at the other two way switches in the house, it seems that each of the two way switches have different coloured wires in them, the only one being the same is the com wire.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     jonesy says:

jonesy
    Participant

the other pics didn’t upload so I’ll do them separately.
    Pic 2

Attachments:
     jonesy says:

jonesy
    Participant

Pic 3

Attachments:
     Andy says:

Andy
    Participant

Do all these switches control the same light ? Or are they from various circuits ?

Andy says:

Andy
    Participant

From what you have described I believe your lighting has been wired like the picture below

Attachments:
     jonesy says:

jonesy
    Participant

Hi Andy,

Thanks for replying,

Yes the two gang controls two sets of lights in the upstairs of my house. On the 2 gang switch, the left side controls the wall lights and the right side controls the ceiling lights. One of the single gang controls the wall lights and the other single gang controls the ceiling lights.

The diagram you posted makes sense to me and looks logical for the house. Just to check would the single wire on either side be connected to the com on my original light switches and the other two wires be connected to the L1 and L2?

If this is so which inputs do you think they would connect to on the lightwave dimmer sockets?

Cheers,
    Jonesy

Andy says:

Andy
    Participant

Your pictures aren’t making sense, are there more switches than you have shown ?

Andy says:

Andy
    Participant

There is either a big junction box somewhere or you have more two way switches, we have all been scratching our heads here with this one. lol

jonesy says:

jonesy
    Participant

I have a lot of 2 way switches in my house. The main problem is we bought the house only a few months ago, it was built in the 1970′s but was fully renovated a year ago by the previous owner.

I thought I’d tackle one of these sets at a time.

The other thing is the house spans three floors with a fuse box on each floor. I wonder if there is a big junction box tucked in a wall or ceiling somewhere.

The pictures I posted before are one set of these two way switches. Luckily I have no three way switches.

the layout is:

single gang dimmer (wall lights) (Com = Red, L1= Blue, L2 = Yellow)—————-left side of the 2 gang (wall lights) (Com = Red, L1 = Yellow, L2 = Blue)
    single gang dimmer (ceiling light) (Com = Red, L1 = Black, L2 = Red)—————-Right side of the 2 gang (ceiling light) (Com = Red, L1 = Blue, L2 = Yellow)

I know it looks strange as one of single gang dimmers (the ceiling light) is on 2x red and 1x black cables but it is connected to the right side of the 2 gang switch which has 1xRed, 1xBlue and 1x yellow cables, but these are the only control for the celling light.

I wonder like you say if they connect to a junction box hence the different colours.

Its all very confusing, I was hoping it would be plug and play :(

Cheers for posting.

jonesy says:

jonesy
    Participant

Hi People.

Just letting you all know that I got it sorted :)

Managed to convert my switches into 1 way switches and used wireless switches to control these from the other light switch sockets.

Cheers for all your help.

damaj says:

damaj
    Participant

Hi All/Jonesy

Would you mind elaborating on your solution please?
    I have a similar problem with my LW installation in the hall/stairs!

Cheers

mark.leaney says:

mark.leaney
    Participant

@Andy

I am having the same issue. My lights appear to be wired exactly how you diagram shows. All cables are the same colour so it’s hard to tell. If it is wired how your above diagram shows is there a solution?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.