2 Gang Master With 2 Gang Slave Wiring Question

LightwaveRF Communi… > Forum > Installation and… > 2 Gang Master With…

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums Installation and Troubleshooting 2 Gang Master With 2 Gang Slave Wiring Question

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  btidey 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
     beerfuelleddude says:

beerfuelleddude
    Participant

Hi – I’ve just had my sparky out today and he’s not sure how to wire my kitchen 2 gang master with 2 gang slave.

The diagram assumes there’s a “from lighting circuit”, which I don’t have. With his attempt, the slave powered up (didn’t actually do anything to the lights though), and the master remained off.

How can I wire them up?

Master old switch:
    Gang1 – Brown in com
    Gang1 – Black in L1
    Gang1 – Grey in L2
    Gang2 – Brown in com
    Gang2 – Black in L1
    Gang2 – Grey in L2

Slave old switch:
    Gang1 – Brown in com
    Gang1 – Black in L1
    Gang1 – Grey in L2
    Gang2 – Brown in com
    Gang2 – Black in L1
    Gang2 – Black in L2

He tried a combination, but I’m not sure what it was. I know Brown was in L for each, though.

I’ve also tried the Master switch on another light upstairs to make sure it wasn’t faulty – it worked fine.

I rang Lightwave but Richard the in-house sparky isn’t in today. Any advice/ideas?

btidey says:

btidey
    Participant

It could be you have what is known as a 2 wire arrangement for these lights. I don’t think that is compatible with Lightwaverf normal gen1 master / dimmer operation which expect the normal 3 wire method.

See http://www.lightwiring.co.uk/two-way-switching-two-wire-control/ for explanations of 3 wire and 2 wire systems and why the 2 wire method is a bad idea in general.

If you can’t change the wiring to suit then an alternative would be to wire the dual gang master as a standalone and then use a dual gang wirefree slave which is battery powered and paired with the master to allow it to control it.

beerfuelleddude says:

beerfuelleddude
    Participant

Cheers for the reply – my sparky found this on Lightwave’s website https://support.lightwaverf.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003011932-How-do-I-wire-2-Way-Smart-Series-dimmers- (mine is the three wire example)

It works in the sense that the switches both go orange. The master can control the lights. The slave knows the state of the lights, ie. goes blue when master turns them on, but will not actually control the lights itself.
    Lightwave think the slave is faulty so a replacement is arriving today.

If not – I’ll ask the sparky to tidy up the slave wiring and I’ll bang a wireless switch where the slave currently sits.

It could be you have what is known as a 2 wire arrangement for these lights. I don’t think that is compatible with Lightwaverf normal gen1 master / dimmer operation which expect the normal 3 wire method.

See http://www.lightwiring.co.uk/two-way-switching-two-wire-control/ for explanations of 3 wire and 2 wire systems and why the 2 wire method is a bad idea in general.

If you can’t change the wiring to suit then an alternative would be to wire the dual gang master as a standalone and then use a dual gang wirefree slave which is battery powered and paired with the master to allow it to control it.

btidey says:

btidey
    Participant

Note that article refers to the latest ‘Smart’ series dimmers which do 2 way (or multiway) switching by grouping devices together in the app and using the signal transmitted from the devices to link them together. There is no master / slave device as such although you do nominate one of the devices as the master.

If you have Gen1 or 2 devices where there was specific master and slave devices then that article does not apply and you need to look at the one specific for those devices.

beerfuelleddude says:

beerfuelleddude
    Participant

Yep – realised that yesterday – it’s weird that it is the closest working solution, though. I’m hopeful of just a wire swap somewhere for the slave

btidey says:

btidey
    Participant

Basically in Gen1,2 master slave arrangements

Both master and slave need a unswitched Live connected to their L terminal

Both master and slave need their X dimmer output connected together and back to one side of the lamp. The other side lamp goes to neutral as normal.

The master and Slave S connections need to be connected together by a wire with nothing else connected onto that wire (very important that this cannot get mains power into the S connector.

The 2 PDFs in https://support.lightwaverf.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001484511-How-do-I-wire-2-way-Connect-Series-dimmers- shows the normal schemes which your sparky should be able to work from.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.