2 gang lightwave light switch – left gang won't turn on, stays amber?!

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums Installation and Troubleshooting 2 gang lightwave light switch – left gang won't turn on, stays amber?!

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  redgie 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
     themoonmonkey says:

themoonmonkey
    Participant

One gang (left) of my 2 gang Lightwave Light Switch has suddenly stopped working. The right gang works fine.

If I try to power the ceiling light on, the amber LED flashes to blue for a split second and then returns to amber. The right gang works fine. It won’t turn on at the switch or via the wifi link/app.

Is this a faulty unit? I can’t find any error messaging online or on any forums about not switching on.

mmcnamee says:

mmcnamee
    Participant

Hi,

Can you tell us what loading is on each side (gang) of the dimmer?

How many bulbs, what type (GU10s?), rating (wattage) and make/model?

I take it that before today it was working ok, then stopped?

themoonmonkey says:

themoonmonkey
    Participant

Hi mmcnamee,

Thanks for replying.

Both sides have the same model light, it’s an open plan room with a light either end. They are Next ceiling halogen lights. 10 x 10W halogen G4 bulbs (100W) load.

Worked perfectly beforehand, although occasionally it dimmed slightly and made a slight buzzing noise when turning on. If the light itself was faulty, I’d assume the light switch would still turn on – just the light would fail to turn on?

clarksn says:

clarksn
    Participant

To help trouble shoot it, I’d try changing back to a normal switch or dimmer just to rule out a failure for example in the halogen transformer. (Silly question perhaps, but these halogens were dimmable before you put the lightwaverf switch in? – not all halogen transformers are)

Ekso says:

Ekso
    Participant

I’ve had the same issues. I also have 12 Megaman 6v bulbs so the load should be ok. It feels the switch has just failed suddenly. Second time in a week on a different light. This is frustrating now.

redgie says:

redgie
    Participant

Hello,

First post here but possibly an identical issue.

I have been through 2 x LW420WH 2 gang dimmers where the right side failed, would not switch on, reset power and then dead completely. All bulbs checked OK. Last night the 3rd switch died on the left hand side.. had a ding dong with wife about the cost.. but now its simply a matter of principle to get this working…

Each side has 10 x Gu10′s. All LED. Initially I had a mix of 7W Megaman and 5W Luceco (from Mapplin) on both sides, all dimmable, all working perfectly, no buzzing or flickering. First switch failed on right hand side, replaced, all OK for about 2 months then 2nd switch failed, right hand side again.

For the 3rd switch, as a process of elimination, I replaced all 20x bulbs with Megaman 5W LED Dimmables (141322) from here..
    https://www.energybulbs.co.uk/megaman+5w+gu10+par16+dimming+2800k/2806199566
    and got the replacement LW420 switch from thse guys too

Worked perfectly for a week, last night the left hand side stopped working. switch looked like it was working but lights wouldn’t come on, reset power and its now dead on the left. Put a normal switch back in and all bulbs OK.

I’m a bit lost now.. cant afford to keep blowing cash on these switches for them to fail weeks later. Do I split the switch into 2x LW400′s ?

All advice appreciated.

Jules says:

Jules
    Participant

. . . I’m a bit lost now.. cant afford to keep blowing cash on these switches for them to fail weeks later. Do I split the switch into 2x LW400′s ?

All advice appreciated.

They have a 2 year manufacturer warranty so you shouldn’t need to blow cash on replacements.

It might be worthwhile getting a qualified electrician to test your electrics, but note that if those tests include an insulation resistance test, all LightwaveRF products must be disconnected from the mains first, or damage will occur.

My Mazda CX-3 Blog: jtonline.info
      Home automation: 1 x LW930 Lightwave Link / 4 x LW400WH Dimmer / 1 x LW205 Wire-Free Switch / 4 x LW381 Basic On/Off Socket / 1 x LW830 In-line Relay 3000W / 1 x Echo / 2 x Echo Dot / 1 x Harmony Companion.
       redgie says:

redgie
      Participant

Thanks for reply jtonline,

What would an insulation resistance test indicate? bad wiring?

I will try RMA ~ has anyone successfully RMA’d an LW product? Now I have three, I could keep returning them and always have 2 spare!.. for 2 years at least.

Does anyone else have a successful setup with LW420 with 8+ bulbs on each gang? IF so let me know, and what bulbs you are using etc..

Jules says:

Jules
      Participant

. . . What would an insulation resistance test indicate? bad wiring? . . .

It’s just one of a range of tests an electrician would carry out if asked to do an electrical installation inspection and test. It involves shoving 500V dc through the wiring. See http://www.sparkyfacts.co.uk/Inspection-and-Testing-Insulation-Resistance-Test.php

My Mazda CX-3 Blog: jtonline.info
        Home automation: 1 x LW930 Lightwave Link / 4 x LW400WH Dimmer / 1 x LW205 Wire-Free Switch / 4 x LW381 Basic On/Off Socket / 1 x LW830 In-line Relay 3000W / 1 x Echo / 2 x Echo Dot / 1 x Harmony Companion.
         Node Zero says:

Node Zero
        Participant

From the compatibility guidelines I would say it’s possible you all may be exceeding the max wattage

http://lightwavehelpdesk.megamanuk.com/knowledgebase.php?article=18

LED/CFL Lighting Compatibility Guide
        LED Lighting
        LED lighting is quickly becoming a popular solution for people looking to reduce their energy
        consumption. However, many LED lights can have difficulty when dimming. LightwaveRF
        Dimmer switches can work with LEDs if the LEDs are labeled dimmable, but there are
        guidelines that need to be followed:
        IMPORTANT – An LED load is not the same as a standard load and must be treated differently.
        Although the Dimmer switches can handle 250/210W of halogen/incandescent load, this is
        not the case for LED lighting.
        Maximum Loading: The maximum recommended LED load of when used with dimmers varies
        across the market; a common guideline is not to go beyond 10% of the maximum halogen
        rating of the dimmer switch. However, there is no specific rule as the many LEDs on the
        market have their own traits. Using 10x 5W LEDs from Brand A can give vastly different results
        from using 5x 10W LEDs from Brand B, despite both totaling 50W of load.
        As a guide, we would not recommend going above 60W of LED lighting per gang on
        LightwaveRF Dimmer switches. Exceeding this may lead to damage of the LightwaveRF
        Dimmer switch. Some LEDs may appear to work initially with >60W loading, but this may
        cause damage to the Dimmer switch over time.

redgie says:

redgie
        Participant

Hi NodeZero, Yes I’ve seen this guide. problem is that its vague.. this guide is from 2013, only mentions the LW200 series and I think pre-dates the LW400 series? Even so, I have 10 x 5W Megaman LED bulbs on each gang, 20 total and thats 10W less than the recommendation per gang. Lastly, I would hope, decent Megaman LED’s + LWRF400 series = happy. :)

Have raised a ticket with LWRF support see what they say and see about RMA.

Still keen to know if anyone else has a similar (yet successful) setup

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.